How to hide a rooster

Regulations are weird sometimes.
My county in Idaho restricts how many dogs people can have.
Only 4 adult dogs per property regardless of size.

I can only have 3 dogs or else I need a kennel license! But 1000 chickens, no problem, as long as they're at least 10' from the property line. :idunno

Perhaps people need more insulation in their homes and better windows. Sometimes I have as many as 20 or more roosters. They are in various pens and free range flocks. None are farther than 150 feet from the house. Some are 100' away. If I'm in my house, I can't hear them at all unless every window is open. I can hear lawn mowers, barking dogs, trains, boom boxes, traffic, etc. but not roosters. I wish I could because I love waking up to them. When I worked in Costa Rica, everyone had chickens and I never needed an annoying alarm clock to wake up in time to go to work.

People are used to barking dogs, honking horns, loud radios, lawn mowing but not so accustomed to roosters. So perhaps that is the problem.

One of my neighbors' house is closer to my coops than my house is. I asked her if the roosters bothered her. I was shocked when she asked, "You have chickens?"

Perhaps people need more insulation in their homes and better windows. Sometimes I have as many as 20 or more roosters. They are in various pens and free range flocks. None are farther than 150 feet from the house. Some are 100' away. If I'm in my house, I can't hear them at all unless every window is open. I can hear lawn mowers, barking dogs, trains, boom boxes, traffic, etc. but not roosters. I wish I could because I love waking up to them. When I worked in Costa Rica, everyone had chickens and I never needed an annoying alarm clock to wake up in time to go to work.

People are used to barking dogs, honking horns, loud radios, lawn mowing but not so accustomed to roosters. So perhaps that is the problem.

One of my neighbors' house is closer to my coops than my house is. I asked her if the roosters bothered her. I was shocked when she asked, "You have chickens?"
I think this is part of it. They're used to "city noises", so a "country noise" may be annoying to them. Conversely, I love hearing a rooster crow (although mine are far enough from my house that I only hear them when the window is open and it's not *that* loud), but hate traffic noise, honking horns and lawn mowers. (Really, the only one of those I have to listen to at home is the lawn mower, and it's only when DH is running it.) We all have sounds that we are used to.

Country sounds I like: lawn mower, rototiller, egg song, roo crow at a reasonable hour, children playing, birds singing, frogs peeping, crickets chirping.

City sounds: jack hammer, other construction noise, people yelling and arguing, sirens, non stop traffic noise. Why is it that city folks find the sound of a rooster to be so objectionable?

we had to overcome a similar scenario. we had chickens that would make plenty of noise egg laying. my question is what is the purpose of your chickens? do you sell, use for food, or purely recreational? we did research and found that quail are actually best. quail are super quiet and though small, you can fit more into a pen and make up for lost meat. there are plenty of kinds of quail, each serve a different purpose but we were able to put ours out back without any issues and no urgent need to hide them.

"

So true. My wife can hear my roosters in the morning and I only hear them sometimes. But there is a lot of truth to people not hearing a lot os noise they are accustomed to. When we lived in the city I hardly noticed a siren - now I hear every one . . . which averages about once a week, or less.... :)

Well I definitely have a cockerel on my hands, and I live in the suburbs. Has anyone hid a rooster before? And how did you do it?
I just saw this on you tube to keep the Roos quiet and it does hurt them. I don’t have to do this because I live rural. Make a cloth collar for the Roos neck that fits snug but not tight tight. The roo has to take in air to crow. The collar prevents from taking in enough air so he can not exhale to crow. Search for collar for rooster
Jan

I just saw this on you tube to keep the Roos quiet and it does hurt them. I don’t have to do this because I live rural. Make a cloth collar for the Roos neck that fits snug but not tight tight. The roo has to take in air to crow. The collar prevents from taking in enough air so he can not exhale to crow. Search for collar for rooster
Jan
Do a quick Google search for roosters dying from no crow collars.
Even if they survive wearing one it just reduces the crow it doesn't stop it.
And is a reduced crow worth reducing a roosters breathing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom