HOW to hold a chicken upside down?

Hope she gets better, Luna!
fl.gif

Al.. you're a trip...
lol.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I don't like to hold chickens upside down .. it just seems well ... mean!
hide.gif
roll.png
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Fluffy... She NEEDS to do it to try to save her chicken..
Her chicken has sour crop..
sad.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I don't like to hold chickens upside down .. it just seems well ... mean!
hide.gif
roll.png
idunno.gif
hu.gif

AL says its okay...... and you can always give her kissy-poos and huggy-pies so she won't remain mad at you.
big_smile.png

I have two girls with sour crop (Welsummers) that apparently got it from eating too much grass. I didn't know the upside down vomitting method at first, but once I found out, I have tipped them upside down several times to get the gunk out. I have to actually squeeze the gunk out, and they don't fight and seem to know it is a good thing because they actually calm down rather quickly. In fact, I just had to isolate one of them again because she was looking so bad and her crop was distented again. I tipped her, squeezed out what I could without hurting her and she actually got some color back in her comb and wattles within a couple of minutes. She wants to eat, but she is on the water w/ACV diet for 3 days then it will be yogurt for 2 or 3 days and then I will add starter crumbles to that for a couple of days and then start letting her eat other feed. I do think that I am going to have to open and clean both of these girls out, but I hate to think about it. It is going on too long and neither of them is very much more than feathers and bones anymore from this.
I hope yours goes better than mine are.

I'm also dealing with a bird with sour crop, but can't get her to bring anything up! She's becoming VERY weak, and I'm also scared to try the "by the feet" thing. thanks for the instructions - I'll give it a shot. I'm also looking for a post on here I had read a week or so ago about using epson salts and water to make them throw up what's in the crop... if I can't get anything out the other way, does anyone know anything about using the epson salts? I don't know how much longer she can hold out. I'm force feeding her to get anything in her. She is pooping, but I can't get the crop to empty all the way, and she's too weak to let her go 12-24 hours without food... I'll take any advice I can get here folks! HELP!

In all the years I've helped raise or have raised my own chickens, I've never had one with a sour crop. Does anyone have any idea the exact cause of this and why is recurs in some chickens? It would be interesting to know how to prevent, rather than treat, this phenomenon.

Quote:
AL says its okay...... and you can always give her kissy-poos and huggy-pies so she won't remain mad at you.
big_smile.png

Jules : LOL now that's just wrong hehehehehe.................. see I knew one would come along sooner or later. My chickens will be going to see Oprah now that are so Traumatized.

AL

Back
Top Bottom