How To Humanely Euthanize A Chicken..

You story about your chicken is so sad it makes me want to cry. I feel so sorry for you AND the chicken but putting her down is probably best. Check with your local humane society (s) and see if they will euthanize her for you. (might be cheaper) My sympathy to you and the chicken.

Okay, how do you do cervical dislocation without the head just popping off? One good thing about that is you know it's dead, but it's awful messy.
I kind of chuckled a little bit ruefully at this. I have actually nearly had that happen. It is not good. Not good at all.

I use the broomstick method. Place a broomstick or heavy rake across the neck. (I actually have a heavy piece of rebar that I am using now.) Step down on the handle while simultaneously pulling up sharply on the bird's body. It snaps the neck cleanly and severs the spinal cord. I generally have the bird wrapped in a towel, so there is not even any flapping. You need to pull sharply to make sure you get the cord snapped as well as the neck. And keep your weight on the rake for about a minute after to make sure the job is done.

Essentially what happens when you do this is that the bird's body has suffered a quick, but terminal insult. The brain is rendered unconscious by the extreme drop in blood pressure from the cord sever. The sudden paralysis of the diaphragm prevents breathing, so the bird actually perishes from lack of oxygen, but the bird is unaware of what's going on because it is unconscious. Birds, having no self-awareness, have no clue to their imminent demise. All they know is there is a brief pain, and then nothing. Usually, when the bird is in a state needing euthanization, they are already in pain, so the brief pain at the end is a necessary evil.

Wow I would never dare to do such things, just in case it goes wrong and I dont kill it immediatly... That thought stops me right there

I have tried twice to cull my little silkie with twisted leg, swollen hock, curled toes, and the beginnings of wry tail! We must have botched the first method of baking soda and vinegar with too large of a container and I don't know maybe the wrong kind of vinegar! Then I read that essential oils were toxic and new they would put her to sleep then she would die. Wrong! She was sniffing the cotton ball when I removed the box. She was actually stronger after both times and with more energy. We ended up feeling guilty after each time and could not look at her for awhile. Two different vets told me to handle it and offered suggestions that involved hands on methods. I guess I would never make a good murderer, lol. Still stressed out and still struggling to find the best method while she sits in her cage and watches me (We think she knows what we are trying to do).

I have tried twice to cull my little silkie with twisted leg, swollen hock, curled toes, and the beginnings of wry tail! We must have botched the first method of baking soda and vinegar with too large of a container and I don't know maybe the wrong kind of vinegar! Then I read that essential oils were toxic and new they would put her to sleep then she would die. Wrong! She was sniffing the cotton ball when I removed the box. She was actually stronger after both times and with more energy. We ended up feeling guilty after each time and could not look at her for awhile. Two different vets told me to handle it and offered suggestions that involved hands on methods. I guess I would never make a good murderer, lol. Still stressed out and still struggling to find the best method while she sits in her cage and watches me (We think she knows what we are trying to do).
Has she been checked for leg issues such as a slipped tendon? How old and how long has she been like this? Why not just leave her and see how she does?

ten chicks,
We believe it was a slipped tendon at 3 days old. We splinted it. We made a sock sling. We splinted again. We splinted again. Finally, she turned 4 weeks old and leg twisted completely and foot upside down.

She stayed in a corner most of the time and we both felt that she was in pain even though she didn't sound like it. The leg was so twisted that we thought as she got bigger she would definately have more pain or start having pain. Amputation would be best but couldnt find a vet that would care for chicken. Husband did finally put her down but it was again a nightmare and he wouldnt tell me details but finally on his second attempt while I was at work. I think he had to use his gun! We had failed at vinegar and soda twice and exhaust pipe once. I'm ashamed that this happened and think about it a lot. Neither of us can kill anything with our hands and need a better backup plan. I know I've thought about giving all my flock away so this doesn't happen again! But feel that a lot of others feel the same and someone out there has the perfect plan.

Yesterday, one of our 3 month old silkies(actually my friend owned her), presented with what appeared to be wry neck. After reading some of the stories about wry neck, she ran to the local pharmacy and purchased poly vi sol, vit. E and selenium. She gave her a couple of doses last night and separated her and her other silkie into a crate inside the hen house. This morning, her condition was dramatically worse, she could not stand. My friend made the decision to put her down. After reading all the methods for chicken owners , we used the exhaust pipe, shop vac hose, bucket, bag method. My friend wanted to hold her while we did it, but that was not possible. We used a small plastic food bucket with shavings and laid her in there. Because she was so tiny, we could use a small, clear garbage bag. I placed the hose on the exhaust, placed the bag around the other end with duct tape. Turned the vehicle on, it filled the bag very quickly , and within 2 minutes it was pretty obvious she was gone. I have never done this before, and neither had my friend. Here are my observations. It was very quick, and painless without any violence(chopping head off or other similar methods). My friend could touch her and see her while we were doing it. It was still sad, she was such a cute little girl. I did not enjoy doing this, but keeping it in perspective, we did not think her quality of life trying to cure her would be an option. A couple of notes about this technique: First, the bag fills quickly, so have some place to vent out the excess exhaust. Also, only use an exhaust from a cold vehicle. The metal heats up fast, and I think it could melt the vac hose.
RIP little Louise, we miss you!

Fyrcat,
You put hose on exhaust, taped clear bag to the bucket that the chick was in? Is there any way you could post a pic as I am still interested in having something on hand just in case. We now have a silkie chick with a crooked beak that leads up into a slightly crooked head. The upper and lower beak fit each other and no problems eating yet and have found some wonderful people to take her but it would be nice to have something already ready if something happens to one of the other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom