How To Humanely Euthanize A Chicken..

Carbon monizide binds to the blood much more readily than oxygen, so it deprives the brain of oxygenated blood, they loose consciousness then die..again painless..it's like going to sleep, but permanently.

So for people not wanting to read through ALL THIS, here's a quick summary of your options. If anyone has any to add, I can edit the post.

1. Cervical Dislocation (breaking the neck)
This method can be carried out multiple ways, including with bare hands, using a broomstick, etc.

Pros:
- fast and (we think) painless
- fairly easy
- free

Cons:
- hands on
- you have to pull hard enough, or you can cause more pain
- emotional (if you have a bond with the bird)
- animal is awake
- strong reflex after death at times

2. Injection
This method can be carried out by a vet, due to the euthanization medicine being a controlled substance.

Pros:
- painless (other than injection itself)
- animal falls asleep first
- very little reflex after death

Cons:
- can be expensive, always costs
- only available with some vets
- vet situation can cause stress

3. Decapitation (complete removal of the head)
This method usually involves an axe and a hard surface like a stump.

Pros:
- fast
- very short pain only
- free

Cons:
- messy
- unless the bird is immobile, they could move
- you cannot comfort them during the process
- reflex after death at times

4. Freezing
DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD unless it is a young chick. (Young chicks cannot control body temperature well, which is why this works with them)

Pros:
- free

Cons:
- large birds can control body temperature, this will be cruel with them
- chickens are warm blooded and cold hardy
- unable to comfort during process
- may not work reliably

5. Firearm
This method can be carried out by anyone who can aim well enough.

Pros:
- free (as long as you have a gun)
- fast (if you aim and hit right)

Cons:
- unable to comfort animal
- requires a certain level of skill
- messy

Tip: Use a shotgun up close if using this method, to insure the bird is killed the first time. The pellets will stay in the head area and insure a fast death. If you use one bullet, you risk missing the correct spot and prolonging the birds suffering.

6. Carbon Monoxide
This method involves something burning, like gasoline in a car.

Pros:
- free
- semi-fast
- not emotionally taxing
- very little reflex or reaction

Cons:
- metal or gas can be hot
- if lively enough, bird may struggle at first
- unable to comfort (box must be sealed)

7. Carbon Dioxide
This method is created using a mostly sealed chamber and baking soda with vinegar/peroxide.

Pros:
- animal is asleep first
- not emotionally taxing
- fairly quick
- can comfort animal
- very little reflex or no reaction

Cons:
- may not work if solution is too weak
- requires some money for supplies
- bird may be uncomfortable or stressed in the tub required for it

TIP: The carbon dioxide created is more dense than air (heavier) so it will push oxygen out while still allowing you to have your hand on the animal. For the safest route however, have a mostly covered container with a small gap for oxygen to be pushed out of.

8. Essential Oil or Ether
This method involves soaking rags or paper towels in ether (found in starter fluid) or certain essential oils.

Pros:
- painless
- can comfort (to some extent)
- not emotionally taxing

Cons:
- requires exact measurement
- may not be effective
- not much info known

(I'm not sure if they're asleep first or just suffocated, I'll do more research.)

9. Other Forms of Suffocation
This method is just cruel. Plastic bags? Seriously? If you're willing to watch a bird thrash around in a bag while they slowly die, you can chop off their head or break their neck. Don't do this.

I don't think I missed anything, but if I did, go ahead and tell me haha.
Also, for both "gas" methods, I believe the animal falls asleep before the actual suffocating occurs, making it less cruel than some believed.
Ultimately, any euthanasia decisions are up to the owner, but always try to think of what will be best for the animal, as well as what you are capable of!

Last edited:
So for people not wanting to read through ALL THIS, here's a quick summary of your options. If anyone has any to add, I can edit the post.

1. Cervical Dislocation (breaking the neck)
This method can be carried out multiple ways, including with bare hands, using a broomstick, etc.

Pros:
- fast and (we think) painless
- fairly easy
- free

Cons:
- hands on
- you have to pull hard enough, or you can cause more pain
- animal is awake
- strong reflex after death at times

2. Injection
This method can be carried out by a vet, due to the euthanization medicine being a controlled substance.

Pros:
- painless (other than injection itself)
- very little reflex after death

Cons:
- can be expensive, always costs
- only available with some vets
- vet situation can cause stress

3. Decapitation (complete removal of the head)
This method usually involves an axe and a hard surface like a stump.

Pros:
- fast
- very short pain only
- free

Cons:
- messy
- unless the bird is immobile, they could move
- you cannot comfort them during the process
- reflex after death at times

4. Freezing
DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD unless it is a young chick. (Young chicks cannot control body temperature well, which is why this works with them)

Pros:
- free

Cons:
- large birds can control body temperature, this will be cruel with them
- chickens are warm blooded and cold hardy
- unable to comfort during process
- may not work reliably

5. Firearm
This method can be carried out by anyone who can aim well enough.

Pros:
- free (as long as you have a gun)
- fast (if you aim and hit right)

Cons:
- unable to comfort animal
- requires a certain level of skill
- messy

Tip: Use a shotgun up close if using this method, to insure the bird is killed the first time. The pellets will stay in the head area and insure a fast death. If you use one bullet, you risk missing the correct spot and prolonging the birds suffering.

6. Carbon Monoxide
This method involves something burning, like gasoline in a car.

Pros:
- free
- semi-fast
- not emotionally taxing
- very little reflex or reaction

Cons:
- metal or gas can be hot
- if lively enough, bird may struggle at first
- unable to comfort (box must be sealed)

7. Carbon Dioxide
This method is created using a mostly sealed chamber and baking soda with vinegar/peroxide.

Pros:
- animal is asleep first
- not emotionally taxing
- fairly quick
- can comfort animal
- very little reflex or no reaction

Cons:
- may not work if solution is too weak
- requires some money for supplies
- bird may be uncomfortable or stressed in the tub required for it

TIP: The carbon dioxide created is more dense than air (heavier) so it will push oxygen out while still allowing you to have your hand on the animal. For the safest route however, have a mostly covered container with a small gap for oxygen to be pushed out of.

8. Essential Oil or Ether
This method involves soaking rags or paper towels in ether (found in starter fluid) or certain essential oils.

Pros:
- painless
- can comfort (to some extent)
- not emotionally taxing

Cons:
- requires exact measurement
- may not be effective
- not much info known

(I'm not sure if they're asleep first or just suffocated, I'll do more research.)

9. Other Forms of Suffocation
This method is just cruel. Plastic bags? Seriously? If you're willing to watch a bird thrash around in a bag while they slowly die, you can chop off their head or break their neck. Don't do this.

I don't think I missed anything, but if I did, go ahead and tell me haha.
Also, for both "gas" methods, I believe the animal falls asleep before the actual suffocating occurs, making it less cruel than some believed.
Ultimately, any euthanasia decisions are up to the owner, but always try to think of what will be best for the animal, as well as what you are capable of!

I had to do this today with a Crested Cream legbar cockerel with Torticolus. After treating him for 10 days with no improvement it was the only humane option. I opted for the Carbon Dioxide method. It was relatively quick and he had no negative reaction. I don't know if this link was already posted but there is a website that explains the process here..

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/2-uncategorised.html

As a long time lurker, first time poster (moderately experienced with chickens - but now much more so) I wanted to share an experience I had today. This thread seems like partly a discussion of methodology and partly a support group. I kind of needed both so here goes. I'll try to keep it short (it's not short).
roll.png

We moved across the country with 3 Red Star hens in the car (another story). During the following year they thrived and produced a lot of eggs. I think by this time they were over 3 years old. Then, last Thanksgiving, our alpha bird got sick and died very quickly. We gave her a somber burial.

Around April, we moved across town to a farm with much more space. The other two girls seemed really happy but both had been laying soft shell eggs for a while, then messy shell-less eggs. Knowing this breed has a short but prolific life span, we prepared for the worst. Eventually, they both all but stopped laying. We hoped it was a kid of menopause but also knew their days were probably numbered. So we tried to give them an enjoyable retirement.

About 10 weeks later, the next one got sick. Her symptoms were consistent with Mareks but could have been something else (it's really hard to know without testing). This was our favorite, the first layer, very intelligent and a great hunter. She was unable to walk the following day & then she was gone. Another sad burial.

Our last bird, Tootsie, managed to get by as a flock of one. She was very quiet & we knew she was lonely. She hung out on the porch a lot, near the humans. We finally got our act together last week and bought 3 more pullets. We hoped they would soon be able to live together but kept them separated for safety reasons. Toots squawked a bit when they came home.

The next day, she was droopy and puffed up. She seemed like she had to poop but not much came out. We figured her number was up (internal egg or ovarian cancer) but the next day she was still with us. The next day there was no walking, little eating and drinking, she just sat there with soiled feathers underneath. We tried several remedies including an epsom bath (lol). Today, despite continued alertness her eyes seemed very tired, she seemed to have passed the point of no return. I realized it was time to let her go.

After resolving to actually go through with it I chose the carbon monoxide method -- it seemed like the least stressful way to go. It also seemed to have less room for error than some of the other methods. So I hooked up a fairly long shop vac hose to the car, placed it on the ground next to her, said my goodbyes (and apologies), then placed a box on top. Within a few seconds she thrashed violently. I wasn't expecting that. Then another thrash, then still. I let the car run about 5 more minutes, then waited a few minutes more and removed the box.

Sprawled on her back, she shook her head and looked around.

My heart broke and my resolve snapped. I wrapped her up in a towel and carried her to the porch. She was breathing shallowly with eyes closed. I hoped she would just slip out at this point. As I sat with her, in shock, knowing I screwed up, knowing she was probably even worse off now than before. For a second I entertained the idea that she might recover after all... but no, I finally again resolved to go through with it. After rummaging around for other methods I went back to the gas. Reconnected everything, placed her in the box this time (again more goodbyes, more apologies), placed a lid on top. She thrashed again, she cried out once. Then quiet.

I went back in the house, letting the car run longer than before. Finally I shut it off, waited a bit longer, then went in for a look.

This time she was gone. In a really weird way, after leaving our friends and family behind & with no other pets, these birds were our best friends and constant companions. It sounds so odd to say that but I know many of you will understand. We'll be burying her tonight.

So, methodology-wise, the CO wasn't quite as peaceful as I expected (but I have nothing to compare it to yet). I don't know what I would do next time. With CO, go for twice as long as you think you should (that's the TL;DR).

Support group-wise, sorry this was so long. This seemed like the place to share it. Most people won't understand this kind of thing unless it involves a dog or a cat.

I look forward (with thicker skin) to our 3 new pullets coming of age & wish they could have met Toots.

Last edited:
As a long time lurker, first time poster (moderately experienced with chickens - but now much more so) I wanted to share an experience I had today. This thread seems like partly a discussion of methodology and partly a support group. I kind of needed both so here goes. I'll try to keep it short (it's not short).
roll.png

We moved across the country with 3 Red Star hens in the car (another story). During the following year they thrived and produced a lot of eggs. I think by this time they were over 3 years old. Then, last Thanksgiving, our alpha bird got sick and died very quickly. We gave her a somber burial.

Around April, we moved across town to a farm with much more space. The other two girls seemed really happy but both had been laying soft shell eggs for a while, then messy shell-less eggs. Knowing this breed has a short but prolific life span, we prepared for the worst. Eventually, they both all but stopped laying. We hoped it was a kid of menopause but also knew their days were probably numbered. So we tried to give them an enjoyable retirement.

About 10 weeks later, the next one got sick. Her symptoms were consistent with Mareks but could have been something else (it's really hard to know without testing). This was our favorite, the first layer, very intelligent and a great hunter. She was unable to walk the following day & then she was gone. Another sad burial.

Our last bird, Tootsie, managed to get by as a flock of one. She was very quiet & we knew she was lonely. She hung out on the porch a lot, near the humans. We finally got our act together last week and bought 3 more pullets. We hoped they would soon be able to live together but kept them separated for safety reasons. Toots squawked a bit when they came home.

The next day, she was droopy and puffed up. She seemed like she had to poop but not much came out. We figured her number was up (internal egg or ovarian cancer) but the next day she was still with us. The next day there was no walking, little eating and drinking, she just sat there with soiled feathers underneath. We tried several remedies including an epsom bath (lol). Today, despite continued alertness her eyes seemed very tired, she seemed to have passed the point of no return. I realized it was time to let her go.

After resolving to actually go through with it I chose the carbon monoxide method -- it seemed like the least stressful way to go. It also seemed to have less room for error than some of the other methods. So I hooked up a fairly long shop vac hose to the car, placed it on the ground next to her, said my goodbyes (and apologies), then placed a box on top. Within a few seconds she thrashed violently. I wasn't expecting that. Then another thrash, then still. I let the car run about 5 more minutes, then waited a few minutes more and removed the box.

Sprawled on her back, she shook her head and looked around.

My heart broke and my resolve snapped. I wrapped her up in a towel and carried her to the porch. She was breathing shallowly with eyes closed. I hoped she would just slip out at this point. As I sat with her, in shock, knowing I screwed up, knowing she was probably even worse off now than before. For a second I entertained the idea that she might recover after all... but no, I finally again resolved to go through with it. After rummaging around for other methods I went back to the gas. Reconnected everything, placed her in the box this time (again more goodbyes, more apologies), placed a lid on top. She thrashed again, she cried out once. Then quiet.

I went back in the house, letting the car run longer than before. Finally I shut it off, waited a bit longer, then went in for a look.

This time she was gone. In a really weird way, after leaving our friends and family behind & with no other pets, these birds were our best friends and constant companions. It sounds so odd to say that but I know many of you will understand. We'll be burying her tonight.

So, methodology-wise, the CO wasn't quite as peaceful as I expected (but I have nothing to compare it to yet). I don't know what I would do next time. With CO, go for twice as long as you think you should (that's the TL;DR).

Support group-wise, sorry this was so long. This seemed like the place to share it. Most people won't understand this kind of thing unless it involves a dog or a cat.

I look forward (with thicker skin) to our 3 new pullets coming of age & wish they could have met Toots.

I am so sorry you had to go thru this with the last of your 3 friends. Chicken keeping is not for the faint of heart. They are quite endearing an easy to get attached to. I am glad the 2nd try worked for you and she is not longer suffering. You are right about the production breeds being more prone to problems. They are bred to lay for a couple of years at high rates and then taper off rapidly. Marek's usually affects younger birds with paralysis (under a year) and the older ones who were exposed generally develop the tumors and will pass from that.
hugs.gif

For future reference, the CO2 method has worked well. No noxious fumes (which may have been the cause of her thrashing). They just look drunk and then sleepy and then stop breathing. At least that is my experience. It uses vinegar and baking soda in a small chamber. I made mine from a small plastic tote. You can construct is so you can have a hand in to comfort the animal and yourself. I used it once on a sick chicken and several times now on rats/mice. Just be sure you have plenty of baking soda and vinegar on hand.

Thanks, it was a pretty rough day. I take some consolation in knowing that many chicken owners would have felt justified in euthanizing after the laying stopped -- months ago in this case.

I thought about CO2 but, from my own experiences, the sensation of being exposed is pretty alarming, like drowning. Technically it's the same as sealing a bag over someone's head (which would take several minutes to kill a person). Just inhaling from a soda can causes an adverse reaction. Perhaps the vinegar/baking soda method is more gradual.

CO on the other hand often goes unnoticed by people -- though car fumes obviously contain other things.

I know I need to be ready for this to happen again. To be honest, the .22 at close range (after being laid to rest in a hole) sounds like a viable option. I also feel like like maybe we should avoid naming our chickens...
idunno.gif
Our new pullets are heritage breeds (I think) which I've come to believe gives them a better shot at living a more natural life.

Thanks, it was a pretty rough day. I take some consolation in knowing that many chicken owners would have felt justified in euthanizing after the laying stopped -- months ago in this case.

I thought about CO2 but, from my own experiences, the sensation of being exposed is pretty alarming, like drowning. Technically it's the same as sealing a bag over someone's head (which would take several minutes to kill a person). Just inhaling from a soda can causes an adverse reaction. Perhaps the vinegar/baking soda method is more gradual.

CO on the other hand often goes unnoticed by people -- though car fumes obviously contain other things.

I know I need to be ready for this to happen again. To be honest, the .22 at close range (after being laid to rest in a hole) sounds like a viable option. I also feel like like maybe we should avoid naming our chickens...
idunno.gif
Our new pullets are heritage breeds (I think) which I've come to believe gives them a better shot at living a more natural life.
My husband has suggested the .22 option, but with the vermin, getting the to hold still is not easy. No matter how much you mentally prepare it is still hard when you have become attached. When I raise meat birds I make a point of only thinking of them as food. When I look at them, I think to myself..."now that is a nice sized drumstick" or "I could feed 2 people with that breast". That makes them easier to process. And the only ones of mine that have names are ones my Grandkids gave them to.

Back
Top Bottom