How to keep an 11 year old hen warm when temps get below 10 degrees F

Eleven years is a long long life for a chicken. You’re to be commended on keeping her healthy this long, not blamed if she doesn’t live through this.
My Sebright hen was in the basement since Friday. I brought her back outside today, since it is sunny and 15F and rising. The others didn’t pick on her, it was as if she’d never been gone. But that’s definitely something to look out for. Good luck, keep us updated….

Update on Buffy. Last Thursday the temperature warmed up to mid 30’s. I wrapped Buffy in a fuzzy throw and took her out to the coop to visit the others. Before I could put her down, she had a heart attack and died in my arms. I am heartbroken. Now I know her breathing problems were from her heart, and not a respiratory infection. Yet there is virtually nothing about heart problems in older hens on the internet. It is all about broilers. Thank goodness a friend here on Backyard Chickens, Two Crows, had the experience to advise me. And help me from feeling responsible for her death. Buffy was an outstanding example of resilience and had a great life. She survived an impacted crop, and two prolapsed vent occurrences over the years thanks to the care of a good vet, and good care from us. She lived a long happy life and was still flock leader when she died. I hope others with aging hens can benefit from my experience. Thanks to everyone here for all the encouragement and support.

Back
Top Bottom