How to keep chickens cool in the heat. Tips wanted!

I've read that giving hens frozen watermelon helps keep them cool but they have no interest in it, could I put it in their waterer to see if they get use to the taste?

If they don't like the frozen watermelon I wouldn't put it in their water. If they don't like it they may not drink their water of it tastes like something they dislike. Try other frozen melons or fruits. Strawberries are something my chickens love, try those.

I would try whatever you think may help. I tried watermelon once, they didn't show initial interest in it, but when I went out the next morning, it was gone, so they did eat it. Try leaving it for awhile and see what happens.

Out here in Vegas, it's 113. trying to keep our four chickens cool frozen watermelon, fan in the coop, and ice in there water. We are thinking of bringing them in the house...some how. Any other ideas?

block off the area that they can poop on and use plenty of newspaper on the floor, 5 gal buckets turned on their sides with litter, they will make you breakfast.

If you're just trying to help four, you can squirt them with a squirt bottle of cool water under their wings if they're really hot. That way when they hold their wings out to the side in the heat, they'll cool off even more. You can also squirt the skin at the backs of their neck.

If you're just trying to help four, you can squirt them with a squirt bottle of cool water under their wings if they're really hot. That way when they hold their wings out to the side in the heat, they'll cool off even more. You can also squirt the skin at the backs of their neck.
Anything that involves getting a chickens feathers wet in an effort to cool it is bad advice. They have been telling us this for years as no one has ever seen a chicken or turkey bathe like a pigeon, starling, robin, etc. does.

Mine are only 6 weeks and 4 weeks. I think that's too young for all the watermelon and frozen pea treats. Any other cooling food treats I can give them! It just poured here but is really muggy now! Going to go try to mist them and put water bottles in freezer. Thanks!

Anything that involves getting a chickens feathers wet in an effort to cool it is bad advice. They have been telling us this for years as no one has ever seen a chicken or turkey bathe like a pigeon, starling, robin, etc. does.
Under the wings the skin is mostly bare--few feathers. And they naturally do hold out their wings in the heat to allow increased air flow, and putting water on the skin there adds extra cooling thru evaporation.

I hear you about chickens not bathing in water like some other birds. But I wonder if it really is negative to wet their skin like that?
hu.gif

Last edited:
I just got back from a trip and my chickens have survived the Texas heat. I will put ice cubes in the water and maybe mist or add shade, but the hens should be fine. They survived last summer, and I didn't know as much about chickens and heat then.

Back
Top Bottom