How to keep humidity up overnight?

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
How do you keep humidity in an incubator from falling too low overnight if I can't fill the water reservoir? Does anyone else have this problem? Or does my incubator's humidity just drop really fast? Any tips or advice for humidity in incubation are welcome.

Sponge or cup of water placed in the incubator, but test it and see where your humidity ends up after a few hrs, observe periodically over night to see how this works in your setup. Make sure you have a calibrated hygrometer.

There are some really great Articles on Hatching - if you browse the Articles section, those will be in the first few pages - more info there.

How do you keep humidity in an incubator from falling too low overnight if I can't fill the water reservoir? Does anyone else have this problem? Or does my incubator's humidity just drop really fast? Any tips or advice for humidity in incubation are welcome.
We got a hygrometer, and if it got too low i put in an empty egg shell of water...after 1 hatched and knocked it over i put in the lil round measure circle from the blender with water...viola! Problem solved...but all 'bators are different. Ours is old school styrofoam.
Hope it helps. Meter made all the diff

I have this problem too.. it’ll be 60 before I go to bed (lockdown humidity) but the next morning it will be at 20!

I isn’t really a problem yet because none of them have pipped, but it will be at some point. They are due to hatch on Tuesday!

I have the incubator’s water holder filled up to the max without it spilling out. I tried putting a wet sponge in but that dried out quick. I don’t want to open the lid again, because the humidity just drops so much!

I don’t know what to do 🤷‍♀️
I can barely keep it up during the day, let alone at night!

I have this problem too.. it’ll be 60 before I go to bed (lockdown humidity) but the next morning it will be at 20!

I isn’t really a problem yet because none of them have pipped, but it will be at some point. They are due to hatch on Tuesday!

I have the incubator’s water holder filled up to the max without it spilling out. I tried putting a wet sponge in but that dried out quick. I don’t want to open the lid again, because the humidity just drops so much!

I don’t know what to do 🤷‍♀️
I can barely keep it up during the day, let alone at night!
Can you try testing putting that sponge in a small flat plastic or glass dish that you could put a bit of distilled water in when you go to bed? That humidity spike for a few seconds while you put that in at night and take it out in the morning won't hurt anything, provided they aren't pipped, and the incubator will quickly recover.

If it's dry where you are, and you increase the humidity of the area where the incubator is, that would also help. We don't have a humidifier, but we do have a vaporizer and a couple of those diffusers. I'd have to sterilize them first as I had essential oils in those. Just giving you ideas.

Can you try testing putting that sponge in a small flat plastic or glass dish that you could put a bit of distilled water in when you go to bed? That humidity spike for a few seconds while you put that in at night and take it out in the morning won't hurt anything, provided they aren't pipped, and the incubator will quickly recover.

If it's dry where you are, and you increase the humidity of the area where the incubator is, that would also help. We don't have a humidifier, but we do have a vaporizer and a couple of those diffusers. I'd have to sterilize them first as I had essential oils in those. Just giving you ideas.
I solved it. The eggs have hatched now. Thanks for taking the time to respond, though!

Back
Top Bottom