How to keep the ground clean?!

raspberrywaffle

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
I have a couple of ducks in my backyard. I live in the city. I have a small backyard. Their fenced in area (which used to be my vegetable garden) is just a layer of matted duck poop. Is their anything I can put down on the ground that would make it possible to clean once in a while? And if there is, how do I clean it? Do I rake it? Shovel it? I have neighbors on all sides of my yard (in very close proximity) and don't want the backyard smelling like a farm. Please help!

Cover it with a thick layer of mulch, like old grass hay. About 6 inches or so to start and add to it as needed. Do not use straw, as straw has weak, flat stems and straw will mat down and smell too. Best is to use old grass hay, which will have hard round stems and some grass leaves. Try to find some square bales on Craigslist. Should be less than $5 per bale.

IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0066.JPG

This will leave the area cleaner, eliminate the odors and in a few months time, what develops below is some primo stuff for the garden!

Cover it with a thick layer of mulch, like old grass hay. About 6 inches or so to start and add to it as needed. Do not use straw, as straw has weak, flat stems and straw will mat down and smell too. Best is to use old grass hay, which will have hard round stems and some grass leaves. Try to find some square bales on Craigslist. Should be less than $5 per bale.

View attachment 1350634 View attachment 1350635

This will leave the area cleaner, eliminate the odors and in a few months time, what develops below is some primo stuff for the garden!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom