how to make and can home made chicken noodle soup ( by popular demand )

jbirds2012

Songster
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
paicines, ca.

after processing, cleaning. i quarter my rooster so it will fit in a gallon size zip loc bag and i add a brine ( 2 tbsp salt, in heated water so it will mix up faster ) and put it in the fridge for 3 days
pressure cooker method :
rinse off chicken, cover with water and pressure cook for 30 min.
CAUTION : DO NOT ADD SALT, it will turn out perfect if you don't add salt. NOTE : you can always add more salt later, but ya
can't take back it back out
pot method :
rinse off chicken, cover with plenty of water, bring to a boil cover and then simmer for 4 to 5 hours.add more water if needed
CAUTION : DO NOT ADD SALT, it will turn out perfect if you don't add salt. NOTE : you can always add more salt later, but ya can't take it back out.
next separate the meat from the bones and throw the bones back in the water and simmer for 1 more hour while you are making the noodles. here's the home made noodle recipe from my grandma's cookbook

try it, you'll love em, and might not ever go back to store bought noodles. you have to double the noodle recipe for a whole chicken.
while the noodles are drying chop up some carrots, celery, and 1 big onion.
next, strain the chicken stock and toss out the bones. then add the veggies and cook for 1/2 hour or so. then add the noodles and cook for 10 Min's
at this point, if you have a bunch of hungry people sitting around acting overly friendly, you can add the chicken meat back in and ladle it up for em.
if ya want to can it :
put equal parts of chicken meat in sterilized canning jars, then add the noodles and veggies to about an inch from the top. then add chicken stock to just cover the noodles. place the lids and loosely screw down the rings.
if your canning with a pressure cooker let it do it's thing for 10 Min's for pints and 15 Min's for quarts.
if your canning in a big o pot, boil em hard for 35 min.
if some of them don't seal, put them in the fridge and eat them asap.
EDITORS NOTE AND DISCLAIMER :
i really love my chickens and i raise them with the most care, the best feed and friendliest environment a chicken could ever know. and when it's time i turn them into the best chicken anyone has ever eaten.
I posted this thread because folks kept asking how to do it. if you didn't follow the directions right and die, or were even thinking about making some up when you died, don't come crying to me. :)

Thanks! That noodle recipe is nearly identical to mine. :) Have you noticed any degradation of the noodles after canning? I've run into that trouble before, so usually add noodles to my soup when I open the jars, before I serve. Kinda cancels the open and eat convenience. :/

I'm sure you and your family have been doing this for a hundred years and no one's gotten sick ever, but I'm compelled to add for those who are canning novices..........The canning directions are considered "unsafe" by current canning safety. No meat is considered safe in a boiling water bath. Anything containing meat must be pressure canned 75 min for pints and 85 min for quarts according to safety guidelines.

Okay, now to say you don't HAVE to follow those safety guidelines, but folks should at least know what they are so they can make informed decisions for themselves.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...............

I'm sure you and your family have been doing this for a hundred years and no one's gotten sick ever, but I'm compelled to add for those who are canning novices..........The canning directions are considered "unsafe" by current canning safety. No meat is considered safe in a boiling water bath. Anything containing meat must be pressure canned 75 min for pints and 85 min for quarts according to safety guidelines.

Okay, now to say you don't HAVE to follow those safety guidelines, but folks should at least know what they are so they can make informed decisions for themselves.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...............

I saw the same thing. I can my quarts of just chicken for 1:30 min. At 10 pounds of pressure.

How do the noodles hold up with canning? Yours look good.

dh ate a pint the other day and said they were great. he's still alive, so, so far so good. i read somewhere that if you can store bought noodles they will get mushy after 6 mo's but no one mentions anything about home made noodles. when it gets cold out i like chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheese sandwitch. i marked the date i canned on the jars and if there is any left after 6 mo's i will post and let y'all know if they get mushy or not.

dh ate a pint the other day and said they were great. he's still alive, so, so far so good. i read somewhere that if you can store bought noodles they will get mushy after 6 mo's but no one mentions anything about home made noodles. when it gets cold out i like chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheese sandwitch. i marked the date i canned on the jars and if there is any left after 6 mo's i will post and let y'all know if they get mushy or not.

ok, it's been 6 mos and im having some of my soup, the noodles are the same texture as when i cooked them in the first place, nice and firm. so the myth is busted. the old wives tale is false. you can can chicken noodle soup and enjoy it several mos later.

Ok, I will try your recipe.
Since you are obviously still with us, I will attempt to make the noodles.
Should have some birds ready in a couple weeks.

I feel an experiment coming on. There are a couple roosters destined for the soup pot, and I'm overrun with eggs. I'm going to experiment with both cooked and uncooked noodles in this recipe, but using longer recommended processing times. I don't flirt with botulism.

Back
Top Bottom