How to manage my 3 roosters and keeping my 2 hens safe

Time to cull the roosters; it's not as difficult as you may think, especially when you consider that the situation is as bad for the roos as the hens; 3 to 2 is liable to not only hurt the hens, but the roos, too as they will engage each other in their dominance battle. Plus, it's recommended to have 9-12 hens per one roo. Physical injuries to the birds aside, the stress of the constant in-fighting and mating attempts can lead to disease.
You said cull the roosters did you mean Kill because I cannot do that nor can my husband we cannot kill any animal

You said cull the roosters did you mean Kill because I cannot do that nor can my husband we cannot kill any animal

Yes. If there is one thing that's extremely difficult to avoid if you keep chickens long enough, it's having to kill one (either because of disease, injury, predator attack, or hen/rooster ratios that cause harm). If you re-home a rooster, it's likely whomever takes them will kill them (free meat), too; not always (we rescued someone's "extra" roo, once), but often.

"Extra" roos are just very difficult to permanently find homes for because of their inherent nature; they do best with 9-12 hens per 1 rooster. If you have multiple roos and less hens per roo than that, you're setting up an environmental where the roos will not only persistently fight each other, but will run the hens ragged. This results in significant stress on the whole flock, which reduces vitality. You end up with hens not laying, injuries, and due to stress, illness. If that drags on, you end up with birds dying prematurely or a disease outbreak bad enough to kill them all. As @sourland said, the roos can kill the hens, either by direct, constant and repeated pursuit and mounting and/or not allowing the hens to eat or even drink enough because they're always being chased.

Quote:"You said cull the roosters did you mean Kill because I cannot do that nor can my husband we cannot kill any animal"
I had never killed anything until I started keeping poultry. I couldn't even mercy kill a small creature when it was obviously dying, even when I really wanted to end it's suffering. I was incredibly soft hearted.
I think keeping poultry is a great way of connecting you to your food and the ways of the world. There are harsh realities in life and it isn't right to expect someone else to get blood on their hands, so that you can eat meat or even eggs and happily remain "innocent" of those deaths, as the majority of people do. Dealing with situations like you find yourself in should make you more aware of these realities..... that other people have the job of killing animals every day, so that you can eat meat or even just buy pullets for egg laying instead of cockerels. Those cockerel chicks that people don't want are mostly killed because people don't want them..... to me, those people are indirectly responsible for what happens to the male chicks that they don't want, because they create the market for pullets. And the people who drink dairy milk are indirectly responsible for the fate of bull dairy calves and the people who drink almond milk play a part in the rape of the landscape that is the almond orchards....... there is a price to pay for our lifestyle. Paying in money is relatively easy and sanitized, but killing and eating your own excess cockerels gives you a greater awareness of the real price and perhaps a greater appreciation and respect for it.
I can tell you that killing still does not come easy to me. Sometimes I still cry, but I am proud of myself that I have the courage to do it...... and it does take courage and responsibility..... If I can do it, so can you. It is the responsible thing to do.

Chickens are a tough hobby for people with a great deal of sensibility, and the people that are recommending that you cull them are not heart-less. However we do know, that the set up you are describing is a wreck in the waiting, must be getting bad now, as you are asking for help, and we know it will only get worse.

If you can't cull them, find someone who can. I am culling some roosters for my friend this week-end. See if there is a poultry club near you, someone could help you out. If you can, I would re-home all the roosters.

You are responsible for giving your animals a good life, and that does mean more than food and water. If you cannot separate them, it is necessary to let them go.

Mrs K

I appreciate your response but not your grim outlook. Yes I may be new at raising chickens but I have over 30 years working with animals so I know that some things can't be helped But I am not ready to give up on these roosters I have moved the hens so they are safe I know the roosters will fight but hoping because they are silkies and grew up together that they won't battle to the death. And I came on this website to network and learn and I do not think the only answer is to kill the roosters I have these chickens as pets and raised them since they were 1 day old and I know people will say they are just chickens but to me it's still an animal and a pet so I will continue to find a home for my roosters they deserve it
Then separate them from the hens before they are killed. Inadvertently you may be killing the hens.
I have removed the hens
Yes. If there is one thing that's extremely difficult to avoid if you keep chickens long enough, it's having to kill one (either because of disease, injury, predator attack, or hen/rooster ratios that cause harm). If you re-home a rooster, it's likely whomever takes them will kill them (free meat), too; not always (we rescued someone's "extra" roo, once), but often.

"Extra" roos are just very difficult to permanently find homes for because of their inherent nature; they do best with 9-12 hens per 1 rooster. If you have multiple roos and less hens per roo than that, you're setting up an environmental where the roos will not only persistently fight each other, but will run the hens ragged. This results in significant stress on the whole flock, which reduces vitality. You end up with hens not laying, injuries, and due to stress, illness. If that drags on, you end up with birds dying prematurely or a disease outbreak bad enough to kill them all. As @sourland said, the roos can kill the hens, either by direct, constant and repeated pursuit and mounting and/or not allowing the hens to eat or even drink enough because they're always being chased.
Well thanks again for your response to kill my roosters I guess I am in the wrong forum it is apparent that the best solution is killing and you may be right but I want to try and find a solution
Quote:"You said cull the roosters did you mean Kill because I cannot do that nor can my husband we cannot kill any animal"
I had never killed anything until I started keeping poultry. I couldn't even mercy kill a small creature when it was obviously dying, even when I really wanted to end it's suffering. I was incredibly soft hearted.
I think keeping poultry is a great way of connecting you to your food and the ways of the world. There are harsh realities in life and it isn't right to expect someone else to get blood on their hands, so that you can eat meat or even eggs and happily remain "innocent" of those deaths, as the majority of people do. Dealing with situations like you find yourself in should make you more aware of these realities..... that other people have the job of killing animals every day, so that you can eat meat or even just buy pullets for egg laying instead of cockerels. Those cockerel chicks that people don't want are mostly killed because people don't want them..... to me, those people are indirectly responsible for what happens to the male chicks that they don't want, because they create the market for pullets. And the people who drink dairy milk are indirectly responsible for the fate of bull dairy calves and the people who drink almond milk play a part in the rape of the landscape that is the almond orchards....... there is a price to pay for our lifestyle. Paying in money is relatively easy and sanitized, but killing and eating your own excess cockerels gives you a greater awareness of the real price and perhaps a greater appreciation and respect for it.
I can tell you that killing still does not come easy to me. Sometimes I still cry, but I am proud of myself that I have the courage to do it...... and it does take courage and responsibility..... If I can do it, so can you. It is the responsible thing to do.
Again I appreciate your stance but Silkie chickens are not good meat chickens and not great at egg laying I thought this forum was about networking and sharing ideas about raising chickens not a Soap Box for sharing your beliefs if this is the way you break in new members that is fine I don't scare easily

Chickens are a tough hobby for people with a great deal of sensibility, and the people that are recommending that you cull them are not heart-less. However we do know, that the set up you are describing is a wreck in the waiting, must be getting bad now, as you are asking for help, and we know it will only get worse.

If you can't cull them, find someone who can. I am culling some roosters for my friend this week-end. See if there is a poultry club near you, someone could help you out. If you can, I would re-home all the roosters.

You are responsible for giving your animals a good life, and that does mean more than food and water. If you cannot separate them, it is necessary to let them go.

Mrs K
Thanks for your response, and to set the record straight, I removed the hens a week ago, so they are no longer in harms way. As far as not wanting to kill my roosters or have anyone else do it, is because evolution provided humans with the ability to reason and make decisions. So, I am going to use those skills to find a more humane way to handle my situation with the roosters. If it is to have them neutered, or the ideal situation to re home them. Although killing them would be convenient and less expensive, I feel that I owe them the chance to live.

Hi

I am sorry if my post came across as harsh and unwelcoming..... I didn't spot that you were new to the forum. The silkie cockerels may manage fine in their own separate pen... I know from experience that more aggressive breeds of cock birds can be kept so. It is why a bachelor pad is advised in such circumstances and if I did not mention it as an option, it will be because someone else did. If they are kept separate from the hens, they should not fight, providing they are not too cramped for space and have places to get out of sight of each other..... baffles or partial partitions in the pen and at least two feeding stations will help. Normally I would suggest plenty of perches for them to get out of the way of each other, but silkies aren't too good at getting up a height.

I accept that it is your decision not to kill them and that is fine since you have taken steps to protect the pullets from their unwanted attentions.

I confess that I do tend to get on my soap box when people say they can't kill an animal, because I know from my own experience that such a mind set can be overcome. I understand that you don't want to and I wish you luck with finding a long term solution to your problem.

You probably don't want to know, but silkies are considered a speciality meat in some places, so people do eat them.

If you have them separated from the pullets, cross your fingers, you may get lucky. It might work just fine. It might not though too. Roosters are really hard to predict, and there are no sure fast tricks that will work on every rooster.

Do have a way to separate the roosters if they do begin a major battle. Some roosters will fight once, and let it go, some with fight to the death, a rather gruesome spectacle, some will fight bloody through a fence. A dog crate and a 4 handle fishnet are good to have on hand. Fighting birds can be intimidating.

Back
Top Bottom