how to put a rooster down without violence?

Necklace

Songster
Dec 4, 2014
Hello.. I have a rooster.. well actually 3.. my oldest rooster has always been aggressive till one of the younger ones knocked him down big time... he mopes around and he comes back every night... we put him in a separate pen. he is starting to get a bit high on his horse again charging us..

He is at least 4 years old.. I am not totally sure on that but he is looking skinnier and his tail is turning white.. I am not sure what to do with him.. I have read a lot of stuff on humanely killing a chicken but all of them involve cutting there head off or there throte ... Which I can not do!!! There has to be another way of doing it without so much violence.. any help would be great ...

You can break his neck, or pay at least 100$ to have him a vet put him down. I personally think that slitting his neck is the most humane, after they hang upside down for a little while, they calm down, and although it's messy it's very quick

cradle him tightly like a football in your left arm take him someplace with a nice view pet him and tell him how good a rooster hes been and how happy he made his lady and that he found food for them good when is totally calm gently feel for the back of his skull and swiftly pinch/grab and yank youll want to fully extend your right arm do not pause or hesitate at any point or it will not be humane you must be 100% confident in this motion

There are people who want/need a rooster. When I moved I to an unincorporated area, that was the first thing I got for my new house: a great big rooster. Also a lot of feed stores have bulletin boards where you can post him. Maybe yours does? There are also pet rehoming websites, you can post him there. :/ I would rather rehome than euthanize.

@peaceisgreenoh! A tear in my eye!

I think (and everyone can rip me to shreds here if you wanna) when we bring these animals home, we are making a commitment to them. We are to provide and care for them even when it is not convenient, even when it's downright unpleasant. We should put forth our best effort to ensure their health, safety, and well being.
Roosters can suck. I have more than one, and one kind of sucks. Only one. He's kind of a jerk, but I brought him home as a baby, raised him up, and he's mine. So he's fed, and watered, and if he ever needs it, he'll be taken to the vet. Because Respect, you know. For the life I took responsibility for when I brought him to my house. If he came at my face, I would wonder "how do I keep this from happening?" Or maybe "Will he be a better rooster for someone else?" But so far, I've kept everyone who came here.

*edited because wine.

Last edited:
There are people who want/need a rooster. When I moved I to an unincorporated area, that was the first thing I got for my new house: a great big rooster. Also a lot of feed stores have bulletin boards where you can post him. Maybe yours does? There are also pet rehoming websites, you can post him there.
hmm.png
I would rather rehome than euthanize.

@peaceisgreen oh! A tear in my eye!

I think (and everyone can rip me to shreds here if you wanna) when we bring these animals home, we are making a commitment to them. We are to provide and care for them even when it is not convenient, even when it's downright unpleasant. We should put forth our best effort to ensure their health, safety, and well being.
Roosters can suck. I have more than one, and one kind of sucks. Only one. He's kind of a jerk, but I brought him home as a baby, raised him up, and he's mine. So he's fed, and watered, and if he ever needs it, he'll be taken to the vet. Because Respect, you know. For the life I took responsibility for when I brought him to my house. If he came at my face, I would wonder "how do I keep this from happening?" Or maybe "Will he be a better rooster for someone else?" But so far, I've kept everyone who came here.

*edited because wine.
i always put my birds on craigslist first for a week or more before sending them to freezer camp with a disclaimer when needed

You can break his neck, or pay at least 100$ to have him a vet put him down. I personally think that slitting his neck is the most humane, after they hang upside down for a little while, they calm down, and although it's messy it's very quick
I know people have been doing it for years but I can not cut his neck..
1f622.png

cradle him tightly like a football in your left arm take him someplace with a nice view pet him and tell him how good a rooster hes been and how happy he made his lady and that he found food for them good when is totally calm gently feel for the back of his skull and swiftly pinch/grab and yank youll want to fully extend your right arm do not pause or hesitate at any point or it will not be humane you must be 100% confident in this motion
I would actually love to do this but he is not a nice rooster he would probably kill me if I picked him up...it is funny how you can raise them from a tiny baby and they turn on you when they get older.... might end up trying the Craig's list or a flyer at the feed stores .. but he is an older rooster .... if no one wants him I will probably come up with the money to have him put down... I would make such a bad farmer.. would never want to kill anything. :/

Back
Top Bottom