meat bird hatching eggs + rooster issue

VanUnamed

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2018
Romania
Hello there.
I am trying to get about 20-25 chickens for meat.
I cannot find any fertile eggs, baby chicks, or young chickens. stores only have these starting in february.
this is not feasible for us, as after 4-5 months it's gonna be way too warm to process them.
I was looking online, and did not find anything.
Does anyone know where to find fertilized eggs of Hubbards hybrids/avigen in europe?
I do have hens and A rooster of these hybrids, which when bred, they still give decent results in terms of speed
and quantity of growth. But, my one year rooster.. is not "capable". He jumps on the hen and slides down immediately
without doing "the thing".
I hope you can help, as if i fail at this, i will not be able to eat any chicken until .. Next year, 2025.

Thanks!

Good question. Have you tried Hubbards and avigen websites? They can show their distributors on their websites sometimes, or you can call them up and ask.

In the meantime, do you have a different rooster? Since your hens are the breed you want, you could try getting a different breed rooster and crossing them this once, so you can have chickens to eat. Even if they don't get as big as your full-breed meat birds, it will be better than nothing, and they should be bigger than eggers since the hens are meat birds. Then you can try a to obtain a correct-breed rooster next year. Folks usually have roosters they are willing to get rid of, at least in the States.

Good luck!

Also, are you sure your rooster can't do his job? I have a large meat bird roo also, and he slips off the hens half the time, but he still gets them sometimes. When incubating eggs, about 60-70% of them are fertile/develop. Have you tried incubating the eggs from hens that have been around your roo to be sure he's not doing his job? I'd try setting 10-20 eggs and see how many clears you get.

Also, are you sure your rooster can't do his job? I have a large meat bird roo also, and he slips off the hens half the time, but he still gets them sometimes. When incubating eggs, about 60-70% of them are fertile/develop. Have you tried incubating the eggs from hens that have been around your roo to be sure he's not doing his job? I'd try setting 10-20 eggs and see how many clears you get.
I dont know. It's one week the rooster is with the hens.
I will get 10 eggs on friday and open them and see if they are good.
Also ty!

I dont know. It's one week the rooster is with the hens.
I will get 10 eggs on friday and open them and see if they are good.
Also ty!
Hard to tell sometimes by opening them. Incubation is the best way to tell for sure. You can tell by day 3 if they're developing (as long as you can see through the shells good). Give it a week if you're not sure. There are pictures on this site in the Incubation Forum that show day-by-day development.

There are a lot of folks unload chicken this time a year. You can find it on Craigslist in your area. I am able to get few quiet roosters recently. Will cross breed Ayam x Bresse next year.

Back
Top Bottom