Experimental Meat Bird cross thread.

Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Will be doing an experimental cross breeding of a hefty, meaty hen(EE/Brahma), to a Malay rooster next year.

Goal is a small/medium Turkey sized bird, with a decent amount of breast meat. Growth rate, fast to moderate, & can be raised free ranged, or confined.

Will be able to breed naturally, & may not be the best layer, since main goal is meat.

Will also be hardy in all climates.

Her
20201220_152900.jpg
Her eggs are colossal.
20230219_105047.jpg
Her weight 20231018_125140.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good

Jersey giants were an attempt to have a turkey size, but they were supposed to take 18 months to get to turkey size
1.5yrs is quite the wait for a big bird, though.

Gonna attempt to get nice meaty birds between 4-6 months, so the project will be repeated with saving back the best for re-breeding.

I was under the impression that EE, Brahma and Malay are all slow developing breeds
They all have different rates of growth.

Indian Malay I've had both fast to moderate growth, & Slow growth.(Fighting Strains)

Brahmas are full sized right now at 6 months, & one is laying now. The Brahmas I had originally started laying around 5 months, & decently meaty too.

Easter Eggers, I've had both, fast, & slow growing. I typically I stick with the faster growing ones. But the original EE rooster who fathered my EE/Brahma crosses was very slow to mature, but the crosses themselves were fast growing.

Back
Top Bottom