Experimental Meat Bird cross thread.

I want/need a chicken tractor. Would make things alittle easier when I do have meaties.

Okay, sounds good.
Yeah it's pretty nice to have one. I made a very basic one on the cheap and it gets the job done but is very tedious to open and close. I'm eventually going to convert the frame to a Salatin-style tractor (google or Youtube that if you haven't seen one). When you do make yours, I'd recommend doing that kind from the start because it just seems like it's the tried and true best. Might take a little more money and work upfront, but if you go cheap like me you'll eventually have to upgrade and put that time/money in anyway. Just a suggestion.

Yeah it's pretty nice to have one. I made a very basic one on the cheap and it gets the job done but is very tedious to open and close. I'm eventually going to convert the frame to a Salatin-style tractor (google or Youtube that if you haven't seen one). When you do make yours, I'd recommend doing that kind from the start because it just seems like it's the tried and true best. Might take a little more money and work upfront, but if you go cheap like me you'll eventually have to upgrade and put that time/money in anyway. Just a suggestion.
Is your broody still in the tractor with the chicks?

Is your broody still in the tractor with the chicks?
Yes, she is! I hope she stops mothering soon lol, although it has kept my mind at ease on cooler nights because she warms them. They only have about 4 weeks left. Starting this weekend though I'm going to put them out into a pasture/run area. Maybe with all that space Ursula will want to let the babies be more independent. But idk chicken logic!

Yes, she is! I hope she stops mothering soon lol, although it has kept my mind at ease on cooler nights because she warms them. They only have about 4 weeks left. Starting this weekend though I'm going to put them out into a pasture/run area. Maybe with all that space Ursula will want to let the babies be more independent. But idk chicken logic!
Mother hens usually wean their chicks between 6-12 weeks of age. But some may do so as early as 4 weeks, like mine done once.

It must be getting crowded under Ursula. She sounds like a good mom.

Back
Top Bottom