How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
Many posters posting on here have very large flocks, and have multi-generational flocks, where as roosters are raised with older and bigger chickens. They learn their place in the flock and slowly work up the chain.

Space is huge and really in large flocks, the dynamics of the flock are different than smaller flocks.

Roosters raised with flock mates, will outgrow the pullets quickly, become sexually ready much sooner than the pullets, and often times will become a bully in the flock. Rooster chicks in a multi-generational flock will have bigger birds that will thump manners into them. Without bigger birds to keep them in check, they gain a false confidence, they are the biggest bird in the flock, they often times will begin to size up people.

If this outgoing bird, often considered friendly by new chicken people, he appears to like people, but really he is not afraid or has no respect for people. Therefore, he often begins to see the people as either a rival rooster or a hen to be the boss of.

I think there is a huge difference in people that have large or multiple flocks, and how their birds behave, verses people that have a limited flock of less than 12. Advice for a large flock, may not work for a small flock, and vice versa. Especially advice that says they never have a rotten rooster, or that all rooster problems are do to the people's behavior.

Just beware, and be very aware.

Mrs K

I show my chickens, so being hands-on is a must. They seem to go through stages of "skittery" as chicks, but they all get handled. Not so much cuddled, but handled. I've rarely had a problem with my cockerels/roosters, but IF there is going to be a problem with one, it's going to be when they hit that hormonal teenage stage. Through the years, I've only ever had 2 that showed some aggression. I began using Beekissed's method immediately, getting them right back under control. I think that because I am looking for aggression at that age, and being prepared to take instant action, right then, and there to get it under control is very important.

I can walk into any of my coops/runs, grab any of my chickens to pick them up, and not have a problem. I dust, trim toenails and spurs as needed, bathe them, pick them up at least once a week to check them over for any problems. They expect to be handled. I'm not rough with them, and spend a moment at first to calm them down, then proceed with whatever it is that's needed. I sit in the pen with them, and watch them quite a bit. I sing to them. I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but they don't complain. We are all quite comfortable around each other.

By spending time with them, I learn a lot about their personalities. I have a couple hens that like to be held. I have a few that like to sit on my lap, but don't want to be held. I have a few that like to be near me, but don't want to be held, or on my lap. I have a rooster that loves for me to hold him, and let him snuggle, but NOT in front of his hens. I have to catch him in the coop, then run the ladies out into the run, so they can't see him cuddle. I do this one or two times a week. When I set him down, he doesn't like to come near me, but hangs back. When I walk up to him to catch him, he stays calm, so he's easy to catch. I have a rooster that tolerates me handling him, but really does not like being held. He does like to stay near my chair when I'm in the coop/run with his group. I have another rooster that hates being held, or handled, but loves to sit on my lap when I'm sitting in the coop/run. All of my roosters respect my personal space, and approach slowly, except one, and that's only when I have treats. He sort of forgets himself when he sees the treat bag, and comes rushing at me. I've seen him get almost to my feet, realize what he's done, and put on brakes, realizing what he's done. He's the only one that has ever rushed me like that, and the only one I allow to do it.

Many posters posting on here have very large flocks, and have multi-generational flocks, where as roosters are raised with older and bigger chickens. They learn their place in the flock and slowly work up the chain.

Space is huge and really in large flocks, the dynamics of the flock are different than smaller flocks.

Roosters raised with flock mates, will outgrow the pullets quickly, become sexually ready much sooner than the pullets, and often times will become a bully in the flock. Rooster chicks in a multi-generational flock will have bigger birds that will thump manners into them. Without bigger birds to keep them in check, they gain a false confidence, they are the biggest bird in the flock, they often times will begin to size up people.

If this outgoing bird, often considered friendly by new chicken people, he appears to like people, but really he is not afraid or has no respect for people. Therefore, he often begins to see the people as either a rival rooster or a hen to be the boss of.

I think there is a huge difference in people that have large or multiple flocks, and how their birds behave, verses people that have a limited flock of less than 12. Advice for a large flock, may not work for a small flock, and vice versa. Especially advice that says they never have a rotten rooster, or that all rooster problems are do to the people's behavior.

Just beware, and be very aware.

Mrs K

Well, I don't have a large flock, but at least he's being raised with older hens. Hopefully that'll teach him some manners.

I handle my roosters all the time and we get along great.

I used to work taming large, wild parrots for importers in NY and Miami, back before imports were halted around '85. Those things can be scary so there is nothing that any rooster can do, that can get more than a chuckle out of me.
Animals can detect that kind of attitude and it makes them respect you.

Last edited:
So I've seen a lot of threads where people are asking for help with already adult, aggressive roosters. I have an approximately 7 1/2 week cockerel, and I really want him to turn out well-behaved. So, rather than wait till he's aggressive, is there a way to keep him from being aggressive ever in the first place? Thanks.
NEVER let him think he’s the boss. ??
I have three roosters. One I adopted and two hatched here. Honestly you can’t stop a roo from turning aggressive. It depends strictly on the genes in my opinion. I’ve had several roosters and different breeds. The only thing that seems to make difference in behavior is when there is only ONE rooster on property. My most people aggressive roo ( Buff Orpington ) is much calmer when he is not feeling any competition, therefore no other Roos on property.
The least people aggressive Roos I’ve had are Lavender Americauna and a mixed Orpington/Sussex.
I had a very large Rhode Island Red that would flog my Lab and anything that moved. He became chicken and dressin’.

I haven't had a mean one yet. I handle them as much as I do the hens so they aren't terrified of people. None of them come to me and they don't like being picked up but they aren't aggressive towards people at all. I have a OE, EE and Marans.
I’ve had zero luck with this method so good for you. The breeds you’ve mentioned may be less aggressive in general. I have all hens in breeds you’ve named and they are all just easy breeds in my opinion. The Marans are my personal favorites

I use a fishing net to catch birds. All my roosters know what that net means. Someone is getting rounded up. They all cackle in unison when they see it. It's kinda funny, but I don't mess around. I'm vaguely disabled, so the net gives me power.

Boys either behave or they are butchered. I give all my roosters a good long time to mature before any decisions are made. I like roosters so it's important to me they turn out right.

I'm not abusive, just assertive and decisive. No birds are kicked or hit. Just scooped up and penned as necessary. It works for me. The catching and penning teaches them to avoid me. I decided long ago I wasn't gonna be terrorized by roosters, and I would not put up with them harassing other birds.

Many of my younger roosters spend time in a pen as they get through their first adult spring. There's one penned currently because he's being too rough on the hens. I will release him here and there to see if he's calmed down or not.

I haven't had a single human aggressive rooster since I've raised them this way. I did when I used to handle and carry them around. Not all but enough that I needed to find a different way. Now I'm free to judge roosters on other behaviors.
Best reply I’ve read yet. You sound like me in the way I handle mine. They learn to keep their manners with me and the hens or else. Picking up to cuddle or
toting them around didn’t change a thing for me. I had to change me and my approach. I still have one roo that is the best for the hens safety (as they are pasture raised) but he’s an ass. I had to weigh my options with him. Keep him because he’s a damn good watch dog or can him for his aggression towards strangers and me at times. I keep him because he does his job and his flock only wants him. I know him and he knows me so we make it work. I don’t allow him to proceed with any agreesion in my direction. I have a few flocks so I match up where they fit.

Eh--I've tried everything but they seem to turn out how they are going to turn out. Genetics, I guess. I have bought a lot of straight run birds so I have had a lot of roos turned soup! Anyway, I have had three friendly roosters out of about 20....for whatever it is worth. I still have those three btw. One Light Brahma, one Blue Ameraucana and one OEGB (my buddy!).

I baby all of of my birds when they are chicks btw. Doesn't seem to make a difference with roos once they reach 12-18 months I normally see a huge personality swing and they become human aggressive. Some more so than others and few, very few not at all.

Good luck!

I’ve raised two roosters and they’ve turned out fine. Every day i made sure to handle them, eg pick them up and walk around with them. They don’t like being made a fuss of, so tend not to come near me, and if they ever do I just walk after them and they’ll run away. They will attack anyone else that comes into the field, but not me.8 first got them at around 6 weeks and one was 3 days. They’re over a year now

Back
Top Bottom