How to raise your chickens to be extremely tame.

Crazychickenlady7

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2023
My number one recommendation on raising tame, cuddly and friendly chickens is to treat them as if they are any other domesticated animal, treat them as if they are a dog or cat. I have found that this has worked with all the breeds I’ve had from show birds to production hens. Spending as much time with them as chicks is also extremely important, picking them up regularly, talking to them, feeding them by hand should all be things you’re doing while spending this time with them. Naming them will also significantly help with this, which is much easier when you have a smaller flock or if you mix your flock with different breeds it will also help. If you persist with the names you will notice that they recognize their names and sometimes respond to it.

My number one recommendation on raising tame, cuddly and friendly chickens is to treat them as if they are any other domesticated animal, treat them as if they are a dog or cat. I have found that this has worked with all the breeds I’ve had from show birds to production hens. Spending as much time with them as chicks is also extremely important, picking them up regularly, talking to them, feeding them by hand should all be things you’re doing while spending this time with them. Naming them will also significantly help with this, which is much easier when you have a smaller flock or if you mix your flock with different breeds it will also help. If you persist with the names you will notice that they recognize their names and sometimes respond to it.
I was wondering! I'm planning on hatching soon and this is super helpful. Thanks!

From hatch day on I say "Hey Girrrrrrlllls" every time I feed, or give treats, or dump compost, or anything that will make them interested. The SCRAMBLE over each other when they hear it. They'll come hauling butt across a pasture when they hear me calling out. It's freakin adorable and hilarious. They're great Pavolvian learners.

I couldn't agree more! I did exactly what you describe in both of my hatches (1 year apart).. Yesterday I was stunned to see my 1 year old rooster cutting into little pieces the cabbage leaves I gave him and giving it to the two months old cockerels I introduced him a week ago...He guides them and is teaching them since the first moment, better than a mum hen would! He has done other interesting things too over time, such as reminding me to lock the run door, or reminding me to give his favorite treat one day I was leaving, all with "pantomima" style! I have read roosters have iq equivalent to a 4 year old child...I am impressed every day!

Whenever the farrier came over I would have both donkeys hitched to a porch post. He complained about a client who just pointed to the pasture and said "There they are." Another person running all over the pasture to get the horses while he was waiting and making his other clients therefore wait.

He came over early one time. I dashed out the door and apologized for not having the girls ready for him. I go to the gate, whistle. Ears up. Step step step. Here they come. Up to the gate. I clip on the leads. The farrier stood there with his jaw dropped.

I agree, why not make things easier for yourself, and for them. And, yes, it is cute to see the chickens making a mad dash for you.

Handling them DAILY and hand feeding them every day will help them be social. I have found that no matter how much you do, at the end of the day you cannot train the genetics out of them. They are chickens and will be chickens! Some breeds are more social though. Silkies are very social and sweet.

Handling them DAILY and hand feeding them every day will help them be social. I have found that no matter how much you do, at the end of the day you cannot train the genetics out of them. They are chickens and will be chickens! Some breeds are more social though. Silkies are very social and sweet.
How long do you recommend? Would multiple short sessions (say 5, 10, 15 min) be better than longer (30-60 min) sessions once a day?

Back
Top Bottom