How to splint a slipped tendon in chickens

Olivia or Oliver

Chirping
May 19, 2021
Just wanted to share how we successfully splinted a slipped tendon for our cockerel (~12 weeks). Hoping this could help others having similar issues with their chicken.

We noticed that our chicken's right leg was trembling a lot and he was beginning to develop what looked like a splayed leg. Upon examination, we found that his right leg bone (tibia?) was falling out of the joint socket, to the side. As a result we could move his right leg side to side whereas his left only moved back and forth. It was like this for at least 2 weeks.

Below is what his leg looked like before treatment. I wish I had better pictures but this is the only one I could find. It was more severe than what it looks like in the picture, a lot like this poster's chicken. From the back it looked just like the diagram in the screenshot.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

If I used my finger to push where the blue arrow was, it would snap the joint back in its place, but as soon as I'd let go it would come out of the socket again and to the side. It was getting worse by day and the joint became more and more swollen. Our chicken would spend most of his day sitting down. We tried to fix the problem by wrapping tape around the joint but he could not sit down properly. So we decided to make a splint for him. All credit goes to my partner who is an engineer :)

Here are the things you need to make the splint:
  • Wooden stick
  • Paper fastener
  • Hole puncher
  • Gauze
  • Medical tape
  • Scissors

3.jpeg

Cut the wooden stick in half and use the hole puncher to punch holes through the round end of each stick. Insert the paper fastener through the two holes and secure it on the opposite side. trim the wooden sticks so that each side is shorter than the chicken's upper and lower leg.

This is what it looks like from the front:
4.jpeg

This is what it looked like from the back:
5.jpeg

6.jpeg

Before placing the splint, lightly wrap both the upper and lower leg in gauze. This prevents the wooden splint from directly touching the chicken's leg.
Place the splint on the outside of the problematic leg (or whichever direction it is falling out), and wrap over it with gauze. Do not wrap in the middle where the joint is.
Secure with medical tape.
7.jpeg

This is what the end result looked like. He hated the splint but he had full mobility and could walk, sit down, raise his leg to scratch his face, etc, all while keeping the joint in place.
8.JPG

This is his leg after leaving the splint on for 5 days. We noticed that the leg is back in its place 70~80% of the time now, so we put it back on and plan to leave it on for another week. If the problem persists it could be a permanent splint as well.
9.JPG

Thank you so very much for sharing this. You put together such an informative (and fun!) guide; I am excited to try this on my duck in hopes she will benefit.

Looks great. Thank you for the idea and all the great photos and steps of what to do. I think I am dealing with slipped tendon in one of my 6 month old Wheaten Ameraucana. I am going to give this a try. How is your guy doing, has he graduated from wearing the brace?

Looks great. Thank you for the idea and all the great photos and steps of what to do. I think I am dealing with slipped tendon in one of my 6 month old Wheaten Ameraucana. I am going to give this a try. How is your guy doing, has he graduated from wearing the brace?
I'm happy you'd asked because this is an old post and I totally forgot to update it. The splint did help but we stopped using it some months ago, and then his leg started falling out again after a while. We took him to the vet and did a scan of his leg, turns out he not only has a slipped tendon but one of the ligaments that hold up his leg is torn (not caused by the splint). The vet said his leg is unlikely to be kept in place without surgery :( but I've built him a wheelchair and wrap his joint in vet wrap regularly and he's been doing well. I do think the splint has helped him because the vet actually said she was impressed with how he was still standing... when he shouldn't be able to. In summary, I would use with caution and see if it helps, if you observe that it's not helping your chicken then I wouldn't force it.

I'm happy you'd asked because this is an old post and I totally forgot to update it. The splint did help but we stopped using it some months ago, and then his leg started falling out again after a while. We took him to the vet and did a scan of his leg, turns out he not only has a slipped tendon but one of the ligaments that hold up his leg is torn (not caused by the splint). The vet said his leg is unlikely to be kept in place without surgery :( but I've built him a wheelchair and wrap his joint in vet wrap regularly and he's been doing well. I do think the splint has helped him because the vet actually said she was impressed with how he was still standing... when he shouldn't be able to. In summary, I would use with caution and see if it helps, if you observe that it's not helping your chicken then I wouldn't force it.
Thats good to hear, lucky rooster to have you to take care of him that way. My hen right now, is limping and trying to keep the weight off her foot. She will stand on it if she has to. I am thinking its a slipped tendon but not sure and really am not sure what to do for her. That's why I was looking at your post I was thinking maybe that little leg brace might help her. But I think if it is slipped you are supposed to put it back in place and wrap. Sometimes it's like you become a bit of a chicken doctor after having them for a while. There is so much to do for them, when you area caring chicken mom/dad.

Just wanted to share how we successfully splinted a slipped tendon for our cockerel (~12 weeks). Hoping this could help others having similar issues with their chicken.

We noticed that our chicken's right leg was trembling a lot and he was beginning to develop what looked like a splayed leg. Upon examination, we found that his right leg bone (tibia?) was falling out of the joint socket, to the side. As a result we could move his right leg side to side whereas his left only moved back and forth. It was like this for at least 2 weeks.

Below is what his leg looked like before treatment. I wish I had better pictures but this is the only one I could find. It was more severe than what it looks like in the picture, a lot like this poster's chicken. From the back it looked just like the diagram in the screenshot.
View attachment 2770094 View attachment 2770155

If I used my finger to push where the blue arrow was, it would snap the joint back in its place, but as soon as I'd let go it would come out of the socket again and to the side. It was getting worse by day and the joint became more and more swollen. Our chicken would spend most of his day sitting down. We tried to fix the problem by wrapping tape around the joint but he could not sit down properly. So we decided to make a splint for him. All credit goes to my partner who is an engineer :)

• Wooden stick
  • Paper fastener
  • Hole puncher
  • Gauze
  • Medical tape
  • Scissors

View attachment 2770114

Cut the wooden stick in half and use the hole puncher to punch holes through the round end of each stick. Insert the paper fastener through the two holes and secure it on the opposite side. trim the wooden sticks so that each side is shorter than the chicken's upper and lower leg.

View attachment 2770116

View attachment 2770118

View attachment 2770121

Before placing the splint, lightly wrap both the upper and lower leg in gauze. This prevents the wooden splint from directly touching the chicken's leg.
Place the splint on the outside of the problematic leg (or whichever direction it is falling out), and wrap over it with gauze. Do not wrap in the middle where the joint is.
View attachment 2770135

This is what the end result looked like. He hated the splint but he had full mobility and could walk, sit down, raise his leg to scratch his face, etc, all while keeping the joint in place.
View attachment 2770136

This is his leg after leaving the splint on for 5 days. We noticed that the leg is back in its place 70~80% of the time now, so we put it back on and plan to leave it on for another week. If the problem persists it could be a permanent splint as well.
View attachment 2770138
Thank you so much, did you have to get tendon back in place before doing it? I wonder if both legs might have it on my chick, it doesn't stand like other chick's, one leg definitely out to the side a bit and swollen at joint

View attachment 2770094 View attachment 2770155

• Wooden stick
  • Paper fastener
  • Hole puncher
  • Gauze
  • Medical tape
  • Scissors

View attachment 2770114

View attachment 2770116

View attachment 2770118

View attachment 2770121

View attachment 2770135

View attachment 2770136

View attachment 2770138
Genius!!!

The is awesome! I have a turkey poult with this problem right now. Googled how to make a splint and arrive here. Thanks so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom