2 1/2 month old pullet with Spraddle leg!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss Pearl, May 7, 2017.

1. Miss Pearl

Miss Pearl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Please Help!!! I have a 2 1/2 month old Welsummer hen that appears to have Spraddle leg. I have read many articles about how to treat as a chick but nothing about a pullet that's almost 3 months old. She's a healthy hen that has no problems running and playing. I just worry about her long term with this leg. Any advise as to how to treat her would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. Miss Pearl

Aug 14, 2013
    I'm feeding them Purina Start & Grow Medicated. After reading your comment I ran to Tractor Supply and purchased Rooster Booster Vitamins & Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus. It has 32mg of Riboflavin (vit B2) & 270mg Thiamine HCI (vit B1). Does this sound like the right stuff?

4. Miss Pearl

Aug 14, 2013
    Do you think it would help if I placed a splint on that leg?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. Miss Pearl

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you so much for the advice. I going to try to splint it today. I'll keep you posted.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    In addition to the vitamins, you may want to switch to unmedicated feed. Medicated feed contains a thiamine blocker.

8. brandymulvaine

brandymulvaine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    Thanks for this thread, I've got a young roo with the same problem. He's destined for freezer camp in the end, but I don't want him to be miserable before he gets there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by