How to stop Fox attacks

Oh lord, I thought one was bad enough! We’re down 5 chickens because of a blasted fox. :barnie
To be safe let your chickens out at different times and do the same when you lock them up. Foxes will watch you and learn your habits .They're cunning! Its not unusual for one to grab one soon as you go inside.Sorry for your loss!

All right. We have now lost a total of 14 to the foxes. More than one fox. The net is going up today. We have reinforced all the way around the pen with hardware cloth buried at least 18” down. Hen house is as secure as we can make it.
The foxes have been taking the free rangers, so nobody gets to run around any more after today. So far, they have eluded the trap, but I’m watching them as much as they are watching us - and relocating the trap every day where we see them run. Our nearest neighbor is in on the hunt, too, because their eggs come from us.
Will update again soon! Thank you for all suggestions.

All right. We have now lost a total of 14 to the foxes. More than one fox. The net is going up today. We have reinforced all the way around the pen with hardware cloth buried at least 18” down. Hen house is as secure as we can make it.
The foxes have been taking the free rangers, so nobody gets to run around any more after today. So far, they have eluded the trap, but I’m watching them as much as they are watching us - and relocating the trap every day where we see them run. Our nearest neighbor is in on the hunt, too, because their eggs come from us.
Will update again soon! Thank you for all suggestions.
Youtube has some video's on how to use calls to lure a fox or coyote. I'm happy to hear your chickens are safe.Here is a link to a call sold on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Quaker-Boy-S...orting-goods&sprefix=fox+call,aps,168&sr=1-34

We had this problem several years ago. A vixen set up a den under neighbor's vacation cabin and fed her kits off of the area chicken and guinea flocks. We found feathers all over our place along with fox prints around the coop but didn't lose any birds due to our Fort Knox metal sided coop and chain link kennel panel run with hot wire.

Neighbor lost their entire flock.

I called the local DNR. We live in rural Missouri. He told me that the only way to get rid of a fox is to shoot it. Here if a predator kills livestock and yes, chickens are considered livestock, we had the right to protect our herds and flocks by shooting the predator. This fox was proven to be a nuisance so his only suggestion was to shoot it and the kits.

He said that fox aren't called foxes for nothing. You won't catch them in a live trap but he said foot hold traps could catch them. I asked if DNR would be interested in live trapping her and relocating her to a conservation area and he said nope, no luck trapping fox in live traps and said, you all have the right to take her out. I hated to hear it. I had spotted her once and she was a beautiful animal.

I never got a clear shot at her but spread the word to the local flock owners and the problem ceased so somebody probably got her.

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. Wild life is great when it stays in the wild. But when it encroaches on farms and begins killing livestock, it is no longer something to be admired but eliminated. If you try to move it whether it be a fox or a raccoon, it just becomes somebody else's problem.

Good luck getting rid of it.

We had this problem several years ago. A vixen set up a den under neighbor's vacation cabin and fed her kits off of the area chicken and guinea flocks. We found feathers all over our place along with fox prints around the coop but didn't lose any birds due to our Fort Knox metal sided coop and chain link kennel panel run with hot wire.

Neighbor lost their entire flock.

I called the local DNR. We live in rural Missouri. He told me that the only way to get rid of a fox is to shoot it. Here if a predator kills livestock and yes, chickens are considered livestock, we had the right to protect our herds and flocks by shooting the predator. This fox was proven to be a nuisance so his only suggestion was to shoot it and the kits.

He said that fox aren't called foxes for nothing. You won't catch them in a live trap but he said foot hold traps could catch them. I asked if DNR would be interested in live trapping her and relocating her to a conservation area and he said nope, no luck trapping fox in live traps and said, you all have the right to take her out. I hated to hear it. I had spotted her once and she was a beautiful animal.

I never got a clear shot at her but spread the word to the local flock owners and the problem ceased so somebody probably got her.

Sorry to hear that you are going through this. Wild life is great when it stays in the wild. But when it encroaches on farms and begins killing livestock, it is no longer something to be admired but eliminated. If you try to move it whether it be a fox or a raccoon, it just becomes somebody else's problem.

Good luck getting rid of it.
Yeah, we bought the trap thinking we could maybe catch it, (then dispense with it) but I really think there’s only one way to solve the problem. My husband did get a shot off at one of them, and fur flew, but they’re still out there. All we need is patience and a “call”. Actually, I think we may have one. Thanks for your reply.

A plus if you find a black walnut tree .Collect a bunch of walnuts with the green hull on them put them in a pot and boil.This will dye the traps and cover your sent from them traps last a bit longer too I think.

Back
Top Bottom