How to stop hand-feeding?

Mmueller12

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2016
Colorado
Good morning,

I received a variety of day old chicks (7 of them) through the post office just over 2 weeks ago. One Buckeye was clearly a "runt" and was not thriving, she looked pretty bad for the first couple of days. So, I started taking her out of the brooder, putting towel in my lap, and dropper feeding her water and some mushy food. Well, she pulled through (yay!), but I think she is really only eating the food I give her about 4-5 times/day. I'm looking for tips to transfer her back to eating food that the others eat...I fear she doesn't like the completely dry food, as she only picks at it and doesn't really eat it. She just loves the moistened now.

I figured she would just eventually take to eating the dry from the feeders again, but so far that has not happened.

Thank you in advance for any ideas/tips!
Melissa

I would take a small dish/ container top and fill it with feed and water to make a mush. This way it is the same consistency like what RiverOtter said. You may even be able to take it a step further and get them to eat in the brooder instead of your lap as long as you are still there.

I had a fussy drinker. I had to teach them to drink not from my finger! Nerve-wracking, but they can learn!

Back
Top Bottom