How to stop the family dog from chasing my chickens?

Quote:
gig.gif
I have 3 sons - I can just see them and their friends trying it - as you said, many times!

I remember Jim Carry was on one of the talk shows and put a shock collar on -- it was hilarious to watch. he kept doing it and yelling -- he wouldn't stop.

gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

There needs to be a barrier or restraint for either the dog or chickens.
If it's physically possible for the dog to get to the chickens, she cannot be trusted.

Training the dog to where you are 100% trustful of her around chickens is just asking for trouble.
The instinct suddenly kicks in, the training is out the window, and the chickens are dead.

Your dog sounds like a smart animal though.

spot

I have had my dog since December, and I got her when she was 3 months old. She is the type of dog that gets in trouble for something once or maybe twice and never again. Once, when she first came here she chased a chicken. My husband spanked her for it, and she doesn't do it anymore.

I think it has to do with her. Most dogs aren't so obedient. My plan was to try and teach her, but if she didn't get the message to get a shock collar to get the message across.

ETA: the good thing with the collar is that you don't have to be so close to the dog when it is used. You can actually make it seem like the shocks have nothing to do with you, but that they are associated with the chickens instead.

Last edited:
I think I'm pretty lucky but I started my 4 dogs with the chicks when they were just a day old. I would hold the chicks in my hand and let them check the chickens out under a careful watch if the dogs stayed quiet and sat. If they got too excited or moved to much or were too rough I would scold them. I kept doing this all the time as the chicks grew and now I can put them all out together without worrying. The dogs and chickens will drink out of the chicken waterers together. I also always told the dogs they're babies be nice to the babies.

Last edited:
Just got 4 hens today, let them settle in.... a few hours later, let our ridgeback Dog out. He went straight to the run barking and running around it. I yelled NO, spanked his butt. Later I put his leash on - hoping it would be like a training lesson (Ceaser Milan) - yanking the leash as he went for the run. Hoping in a few days he'll get the message not to bother them.

A nice shock collar worked for me and I got a husky. He learned that when I'm there he will be scolded for messing with them. But when I walk inside he can chase and get away with it. So I put the shock collar on him and walked inside. he tried to chase and I shocked him. 2 days of this and he won't even look at them anymore lol

I used a really old Daisy BB gun which didn't even have the power to penetrate a bird but it left a nice little sting on the dog's behind every time he attempted to chase my birds. I only popped him twice, he didn't even yelp, it just scared the crap out of him. lol I figure a couple of stings on the behind was better than a flock of dead birds. Once they figure out how easy they are to catch and kill its difficult to break them of it.

Back
Top Bottom