How to stop the family dog from chasing my chickens?

I may need to look in a dog forum for the best answer, but I need some advice or tips on getting our dog to stop chasing my chickens. I can be outside working all day with the chickens loose and my dog hardly pays them any attention, but as soon as I go inside and leave her alone with the chickens in the yard, she is off chasing them around. She has caught 2, but never harmed them yet. She only mouths it softly and lets it go again so she can chase it some more. So far all she had done is get them good and wet and scare the dickens out of chickens, but I gotta stop this before it goes too far. My dog has learned that I'll scold her if she goes near them when I'm around, but what to do when I'm not? Right now either the chickens or the dog has to be kept up when I'm inside. I was hoping I could let the chickens free range during the day in our fenced in back yard with the dog loose to protect them somewhat from local the racoon, foxes & possum that have been seen at night prowling the neighborhood.

Put the dog on a long lead (chain, rope, etc.) and every time he takes after a chicken, jerk him back harshly and tell him NO! Do this until he loses interest in the chickens all together. He'll eventually get the idea.

You could muzzle the dog while with the chickens so she cant bite. Ideally, one should never tempt the dog with easy chicken. This is just the dogs nature to be a preditor and the chicken is by nature prey. Another solution maybe to tie the dog in one area--soon the chickens will learn that they cant go there. Really, I think it is too much to ask to expect the dog to not be a dog. It is great that she doesnt chase them while you are there--perhaps she gets bored with out you.

When I was younger, and dumber, I tried raising a Doberman in an apartment. Every time we would leave, she would eat/chew on everything that she could get to so we bought a muzzle to put on her when we left. When we returned one night after dinner with another couple to have some drinks, I opened to door to magazines, record albums that had been shredded and had eaten the better part of 3 dozen freshly baked chocolate chip cookies that were left sitting on the kitchen counter. That's all I have to say about muzzles. ;)

EDIT*** Also, a dog doesn't have to bite to kill a chicken. They can just play with it to death by continuously pouncing on it like it's a game.

Last edited:
4th day of leash training..... getting better, only 1 yank today. Knows they are there, looks, sniffs, n goes the other way. Still won't trust dog on his own without leash.

4th day of leash training..... getting better, only 1 yank today. Knows they are there, looks, sniffs, n goes the other way. Still won't trust dog on his own without leash.

How long is your leash? The longer the better, like 20 foot or more. That way he's away from you and thinks he's not under your control. Will be much more surprised when you yank him back. It would be best not to let him sniff or check out the birds. He needs to learn that they are strictly off limits to him.

How long is your leash?  The longer the better, like 20 foot or more.  That way he's away from you and thinks he's not under your control.  Will be much more surprised when you yank him back.  It would be best not to let him sniff or check out the birds.  He needs to learn that they are strictly off limits to him.

thanks for the advice... its just a short 3ft? leash... have the "truck hitch" rope like 20 ft I should use then........... sneak yank ... luv that!

we muzzle the dog for ear cleaning, nail trimming, n shots........... might get him excited for the afore mentioned, instead of just to let him out to do his "duty". He's not quite 2 yrs old.

I may be able to help as I have a blue heeler,a beagle,and a Australian Shepard which all love to hunt or herd I had them attack and kill a couple of my birds at first. Honestly I think spanking them and putting the dead bird in there face works , granted I have smart dogs but I was able to stop them form killing again . However my grandmother who lives next to me had a chicken (silkie) come here (we are very close neighbors )and they attacked I think they knew who belongs and who doesn't but they attacked it I was able to save it but it wasn't good , on another note I had a fox visit today and the chickens let me know he was around and I "ran him off" but if the dogs are loyal enough and you are dedicated enough the situation can be fixed

I may be able to help as I have a blue heeler,a beagle,and a Australian Shepard which all love to hunt or herd I had them attack and kill a couple of my birds at first. Honestly I think spanking them and putting the dead bird in there face works , granted I have smart dogs but I was able to stop them form killing again . However my grandmother who lives next to me had a chicken (silkie) come here (we are very close neighbors )and they attacked I think they knew who belongs and who doesn't but they attacked it I was able to save it but it wasn't good , on another note I had a fox visit today and the chickens let me know he was around and I "ran him off" but if the dogs are loyal enough and you are dedicated enough the situation can be fixed

Everyone has their own methods that they use but I don't think a dog ever needs to be spanked. It works for kids but pets aren't people and don't share the same emotions we do. They look for guidance and positive reinforcement for doing the right thing. A dog doesn't understand why it's being spanked. It can't be explained to them and why do we like to place human emotions on animals? A good example of just how spanking can confuse a dog, I have a neighbor that had his Lab get loose. I came to me in my field and ignored it's owner that kept calling it back to him. When the dog did finally go back to the owner, he spanked it for running off. What did the dog learn? If he comes to his owner when called, he gets spanked. Wrong message.

The best way to keep them from chasing chickens is to never let them start. We wouldn't turn toddlers loose in a backyard with an in ground swimming pool unattended so that they could fall in and drown because they didn't know better. Same with turning a pup, or adult dog, loose with a flock of chickens and leaving them unattended. They don't know any better.

Stray dogs require a different solution. If you aren't willing to meet the owner head on then it's up to you to be sure that your stock is adequately protected.

Now all I have to do is bring the leash out with the dog.... he still looks at them chickens but then looks at me with the leash, and doesn't go near them.

Back
Top Bottom