how to tame a rooster

I remember my grandma going into her coop with a axe handle to fight off the agressive roosters so she could get the eggs. She use to tell us kids dont go in there without me or your G-Pa because those roosters wilk hurt you. We use to watch her smack them upside there heads to get them back and we use to ask what if you kill one when you hit it, all she would say was "We will have dinner then wont we"

My grandmother used to do the same. I can now have the exact same flock but have roosters that do not pose such problems. Somewhere I learned how to behave around them that prevents the aggression from getting underway. I still use an ax to kill but rooster is selected of the roost at night and selected for attritbutes not directly related to aggression rather than as a product of self-defense.

I'm going to offer a whole different approach to taming a rooster than what's been posted. Chickens, like all animals "think." I use that to my advantage. Whether it was taming my rooster or my hens so I can do health checks on all of them. Get yourself a dog training "clicker" and some live meal worms. Earth worms work just as well. Start with your most tame hen. Click the clicker and drop the worm where she can get it. She will start to cluck and brag about getting the special treat. Keep this up until she comes running when she hears the click. Then move on and click and treat 2 hens (the first and the next one who comes close). Trust me. All the others will be watching (especially the rooster) and will start to associate the click with the treat. Save your rooster for last even if he comes running to you upon hearing the click/treat. When all the hens come dashing to you click and treat them well ("jack pot") then put them away in the coop and shut the door. This will prevent your rooster from feeling like he needs to protect his ladies (which is a perfectly normal part of his genetics). Click and toss him several worms. To begin, the treat toss may need to be at a distance. Repeat this 3 times then let the hens out and leave. The next week or so, do this every time you go to the pen/coop; click and treat the hens, put them away and work with the rooster. In no time at all, using operant conditioning, you'll have your rooster eating worms out of your hand when he hears the click. Slowly wean them off worms every time, but keep using the clicker with random "jack pots" of worms to who ever gets to you first. It will be the rooster in no time. Basically you are teaching him to learn to earn his reward for being a gentleman. Whatever you do, DON'T kick at him with your feet and legs. This stimulates his adrenaline rush and he will perceive you as a big rooster who is after his gals. Taming a rooster to be friendly is much more fun than using harsh techniques which only makes him frightened of you instead of part of your flock. Fear in roosters, like dogs, usually manifests itself as aggression.  Roosters are showy, flashy fun additions to any flock who will alert you to a fox, a raccoon, a hawk or a stray dog, but he need not be your enemy. Outwit him instead of terrifying him and both he and your hens will be more fun to have around.

I just love this idea! It's logical, easy and plays to their intelligence! Mine are pretty well trained already. I started them out with treats in a white paper towel . Whenever they see one in my hand, they run to me as fast as they can. If I call them AND they see a paper towel in my hand, they run, jump, fly, whatever they have to do to not miss out! Any ideas on how I might curb my sweet #2 rooster's periodic bouts of willingness to fight me? Looking at my actions from his perspective when we're out together, near as I can figure, he's mistaking my guiding the flock as aggression toward the ladies. Normally, he's sweet, cuddly and looks to me for protection from #1. I have noticed that if I speak softly to him instead of squaring off and trying to show him who's boss, that weird fog he goes into clears sooner. Is part of that just hormones and I should expect a little sauciness every now and again? Like sometimes people have bad days? He's normally so sweet, but every so often he gets all out of sorts...or so it seems.

My grandmother used to do the same. I can now have the exact same flock but have roosters that do not pose such problems. Somewhere I learned how to behave around them that prevents the aggression from getting underway. I still use an ax to kill but rooster is selected of the roost at night and selected for attritbutes not directly related to aggression rather than as a product of self-defense.

Could you please describe how you behave around them that prevents the aggression from manifesting? My #1 rooster has no problems with me and ha never charged or even looked cross-wise at me.

I got distracted a moment ago with dog that came in with possible snake bite.

Back on track. Always try to be aware of what birds are doing around you so not to be surprised an attack. Keep your self calm so if it does happen you do not react. You want that bird to think you do not respond to his attacks. Always move deliberately among birds and avoid pushing them about with your hands. Do not entertain a rooster that tries to play fight with you through wire. Do not kick him or put your foot in his face like I do in earlier video.

Now diaper issues.

I just happen to have a picture of a rooster that was extremely mean, now he is extremely good:

BTW It only took about an hour to fix him.

Show the rooster the picture, maybe he will get the hint.

I'm going to offer a whole different approach to taming a rooster than what's been posted. Chickens, like all animals "think." I use that to my advantage. Whether it was taming my rooster or my hens so I can do health checks on all of them. Get yourself a dog training "clicker" and some live meal worms. Earth worms work just as well. Start with your most tame hen. Click the clicker and drop the worm where she can get it. She will start to cluck and brag about getting the special treat. Keep this up until she comes running when she hears the click. Then move on and click and treat 2 hens (the first and the next one who comes close). Trust me. All the others will be watching (especially the rooster) and will start to associate the click with the treat. Save your rooster for last even if he comes running to you upon hearing the click/treat. When all the hens come dashing to you click and treat them well ("jack pot") then put them away in the coop and shut the door. This will prevent your rooster from feeling like he needs to protect his ladies (which is a perfectly normal part of his genetics). Click and toss him several worms. To begin, the treat toss may need to be at a distance. Repeat this 3 times then let the hens out and leave. The next week or so, do this every time you go to the pen/coop; click and treat the hens, put them away and work with the rooster. In no time at all, using operant conditioning, you'll have your rooster eating worms out of your hand when he hears the click. Slowly wean them off worms every time, but keep using the clicker with random "jack pots" of worms to who ever gets to you first. It will be the rooster in no time. Basically you are teaching him to learn to earn his reward for being a gentleman. Whatever you do, DON'T kick at him with your feet and legs. This stimulates his adrenaline rush and he will perceive you as a big rooster who is after his gals. Taming a rooster to be friendly is much more fun than using harsh techniques which only makes him frightened of you instead of part of your flock. Fear in roosters, like dogs, usually manifests itself as aggression. Roosters are showy, flashy fun additions to any flock who will alert you to a fox, a raccoon, a hawk or a stray dog, but he need not be your enemy. Outwit him instead of terrifying him and both he and your hens will be more fun to have around.
goodpost.gif

I just happen to have a picture of a rooster that was extremely mean, now he is extremely good: BTW It only took about an hour to fix him. Show the rooster the picture, maybe he will get the hint.
Looks like a store bought Cornish cross. Such seldom lives long enough to be aggressive and has serious physical limitations preventing effective attacks.

It most likely is.

I was simply trying to suggest an easier route for a bad rooster. When good roosters are so easy to come by, I cannot figure out why I would ever try to rehabilitate one. Starting over with a new rooster is the faster and most likely to give you a decent rooster, IMHO.

It most likely is.

I was simply trying to suggest an easier route for a bad rooster. When good roosters are so easy to come by, I cannot figure out why I would ever try to rehabilitate one. Starting over with a new rooster is the faster and most likely to give you a decent rooster, IMHO.

Sometimes you should not harass someone at least considering a route different than your preferred. Some here are willing to provide positive directions. You need to step back and leave this alone if you do not intend to be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom