how to tame a rooster

The problem with being 'successful' - is that you're not addressing the real problem - aggressive genetics. The bird's offspring are going to be just as nasty, and the training only works when you're there. 

I'd rather have a rooster that doesn't attack people than one I've trained to not attack me. 

I can take many but not all birds that are considered not to be human aggressive (possibly even some of yours) and put them in the hands of parties that have had human-aggressive birds. Many of the previously non-aggressive birds when in the hands of the latter parties will then become human-aggressive. The issue is not only genetics, rather some of the problem stems from how the keeper behaves. Much of the problem comes from the human side and ignorance / bone-headeness is preventing issue from being properly addressed.

When it comes to genetics of behavior I have a pretty good handle on that so you are not telling me something I do not know. Genetics does play a role but most birds you have issues with I would not nor would other parties that spend time around my yard.

I don't keep aggressive birds - there are way too many good roosters out there to breed bad ones.

Of course behavior and environment can affect this, and some of the problem is the keeper - but there are also strains that are way more aggressive than others, and continuing to breed those strains is irresponsible.

Personality is both chemical and experience/environmental.

Nor do I keep aggressive birds. Mine can be trained to fly up own your shoulder and not be a cause for concern. As a general rule I can trust harem masters tending broody hens and juvenile offspring around very small children. Can you have such birds and hens with very small chicks in close proximity to children without altercations? You appear to be implying others keep mean birds even though they consider not all aggression is due to genetics.

I'm not implying anything.

Aggression is like any other trait - it's something people should be taking into consideration when they're breeding. Bad keepers make their birds more aggressive, and good ones make them less aggressive, but training can only go so far, and in a lot of cases, is masking the problem.

Like I said, probably 99% of roosters get put down before adulthood - there's no reason to keep one that isn't exactly what you want. There are too many good ones for free.

Thanks guys for all of your GREAT advise but I gave him away! I will use your techniques on my hens though, Thank you very much!!!!

Well, I know I'm going to get yelled at and probably called all sorts of names, maybe even start a fight or two... But the method that's always worked for me: Catch that nasty ol' roo, hold him by his feet, stroll over to the water tank and dunk his head in it up to his shoulders, then send him sailing through the air. He shouldn't attack you again. My great grandpa taught me that as a little kid, it's never failed me yet.

P.S. It's not a stupid question at all.

I did this yesterday with my huge black copper maran rooster. It worked. I'm sure I'll have to do it again, but it really worked. It was a better alternative to taking off his spurs, or ultimately killing him.

I did this yesterday with my huge black copper maran rooster. It worked. I'm sure I'll have to do it again, but it really worked. It was a better alternative to taking off his spurs, or ultimately killing him.
All this does is make the rooster afraid of you.

It doesn't make him afraid of your kids, or your wife, or your visiting nieces and nephews. It probably doesn't make him afraid of you when your back is turned. It doesn't fix anything.

The problem here is usually bad genetics. Cull the bird and keep one that isn't a danger to people. Breeding human aggressive animals is not a "better alternative". It's the worst alternative.

Last edited:
All this does is make the rooster afraid of you.

It doesn't make him afraid of your kids, or your wife, or your visiting nieces and nephews. It probably doesn't make him afraid of you when your back is turned. It doesn't fix anything.

The problem here is usually bad genetics. Cull the bird and keep one that isn't a danger to people. Breeding human aggressive animals is not a "better alternative". It's the worst alternative.

Thank you for your advice; however, that may be ideal for you in your circumstances. Under MY circumstances, (i.e., I have no children, no nieces or nephews, nor other visitors) I am ok with him being afraid of me. I also need a rooster as a means of protection for my hens on the farm where I live where we have predators, such as snakes, hawks, coyotes, racoons, dogs, etc. He has done well at his job in the past, which is why he comes after me when I go for the eggs. I have had roosters in the past that were far too docile to be used as a means of protection. What I was looking for was a good, even ground, and I was able to find that with these tips. Since then, the rooster still works as a protector for the hens while maintaining a calm demeanor around me.

I also need a rooster as a means of protection for my hens on the farm where I live where we have predators, such as snakes, hawks, coyotes, racoons, dogs, etc. He has done well at his job in the past, which is why he comes after me when I go for the eggs. I have had roosters in the past that were far too docile to be used as a means of protection. What I was looking for was a good, even ground, and I was able to find that with these tips. Since then, the rooster still works as a protector for the hens while maintaining a calm demeanor around me.
Predator protection and human aggressiveness have literally nothing to do with each other. Your rooster isn't attacking you because he sees you as a predator.

Back
Top Bottom