how to tame a rooster

I'm sorry to disagree with your critics. My husband told me his family had to do just this with a mean rooster
on many occasions. They just need to be shown who's boss sometimes.

When the bad boy is attacking or stalking the person who brings food, he's NOT watching out for his hens, he's being a jerk. Having generations of cocks who have to be watched and 'dunked' only means generations of human aggression, on and on. Mary

ok but im afraid of him when I go out side i have to take a broom with me, when hes out during the day... Im working a lot this week but next day off I will, and Im not good on the computer so bear with me....Thank you, Candra

That's is the problem, he knows you are afraid of him. You have to act like the alpha or he will never respect you. Take charge or get rid of him.

Then what is your suggestion, Mary. She is asking for help. How do you act like the alpha male to a chicken? Peck him or try to mount him? Clearly I'm joking about that. I'm new at this too. We have had two Leghorns that were complete Jerks. They were taken to the processor. I didn't like having to do that but they were mean and didn't respond to human 'authority'. As in: firm voice, swatting back at them.
I'm not a mean person but wouldn't know how to tame a chicken either. Do you have helpful advice for this?

There is a huge thread on this exact topic, posted about a month ago. There are also numerous others. New members, do a search, this topic has been discussed over and over again in just the last 3 months alone.

Basically, you cannot act submissive to the rooster, you cant act afraid him. Period. Ever.

If he comes at you, grab him and hold him down or pick him up until he calm down.
Every time he starts to approach you, walk right at him and tap him with a broom handle, dont have to hurt him, just "peck" him.
Walk through him, not around him.
Don't feed him treats, this is a submissive act.If you are with the hens giving them treats, push him away, never let him have any until you leave.
Never let him sit on you, that is acting submissive in his mind.

If this does not work after about a week, if he still comes after your, or other human, including kids, lock him up or chicken soup.

I have been around chickens my entire life and i have never gotten anywhere taming a rooster by causing him pain. If you'd like my advice then earn his trust. To do that it might take some time but you will have a much nicer rioster in the end. I have also had luck with holding their head down until they got calm them released and if the got wild again id repeat that process untill they understood that there wad nothing to be afraid of. So there is no need to dunk your roosters head in the water because 1. He will learn to not trust you and 2. You may cause him to get respitory problems.

I agree to a point. I have only had 2 roosters as part of my flock, one of whom we raised from a small chick. He preferred not to eat treats, as he wanted the girls to eat. He was so sweet & patient that even after taking a drink then eating some food, if he had food stuck to his beak & the girls wanted it, he'd stand still as a statue while they pecked & clucked & chortled. He didn’t want to cuddle but neither was he aggressive toward me. If he needed help getting onto the perch after lights out, he would chirp softly & brush against me so that I could pick him up & put him to bed by the ladies. And I wasn't able to pet him during the day, but at night, I could kiss & pet him to my hearts content. He used to snooze that way, so I don't believe that he was uncomfortable. I don't know if I could've trained him to eat treats, as he was very selfless when it came to his girls. If I were going to try, the clicker/treat method would be my starting point.

My other rooster not only loved to sit on my lap, but loved to be carried around on my shoulder. He was already #2 in the flock, so maybe for him it was more of a cuddle, safety & comfort situation than one of dominance. And he loved our alone meal time when he could eat & drink his fill without worry of being chased. When he did get a little big for his chicken britches, I just stopped and talked to him until that glaze lifted from his eyes. I tried the 'show him who's boss by poking him lightly once or twice' but it just seemed to really tick him off & agitate him more. So for me, just stopping in my tracks & talking him back to reality seemed to work better.

I guess every chicken is different with their own quirks, glitches & personalities, just like people. I like the idea of finding common ground, speaking the same language & everyone living in peace, but for those who can't maybe starting fresh is the best answer. I am just glad that I don't have to think about that & can focus on running an old age home for chickens, lol.

I just discovered tonight that this chicken is a rooster!!! Though I'm happy to have a 'stud', I don't want him attacking me or my grands...but man, these ideas are hilarious. I had one years ago that I had to watch with a plastic yellow bat when I hung laundry. He'd stalk me and I'd chase him...don't wanna do this again. Argh. _MG_0065-1.jpg

I agree to a point. I have only had 2 roosters as part of my flock, one of whom we raised from a small chick. He preferred not to eat treats, as he wanted the girls to eat. He was so sweet & patient that even after taking a drink then eating some food, if he had food stuck to his beak & the girls wanted it, he'd stand still as a statue while they pecked & clucked & chortled. He didn’t want to cuddle but neither was he aggressive toward me. If he needed help getting onto the perch after lights out, he would chirp softly & brush against me so that I could pick him up & put him to bed by the ladies. And I wasn't able to pet him during the day, but at night, I could kiss & pet him to my hearts content. He used to snooze that way, so I don't believe that he was uncomfortable. I don't know if I could've trained him to eat treats, as he was very selfless when it came to his girls. If I were going to try, the clicker/treat method would be my starting point.

My other rooster not only loved to sit on my lap, but loved to be carried around on my shoulder. He was already #2 in the flock, so maybe for him it was more of a cuddle, safety & comfort situation than one of dominance. And he loved our alone meal time when he could eat & drink his fill without worry of being chased. When he did get a little big for his chicken britches, I just stopped and talked to him until that glaze lifted from his eyes. I tried the 'show him who's boss by poking him lightly once or twice' but it just seemed to really tick him off & agitate him more. So for me, just stopping in my tracks & talking him back to reality seemed to work better.

I guess every chicken is different with their own quirks, glitches & personalities, just like people. I like the idea of finding common ground, speaking the same language & everyone living in peace, but for those who can't maybe starting fresh is the best answer. I am just glad that I don't have to think about that & can focus on running an old age home for chickens, lol.

Question: what breed of chicken was your roo?

If my post was added several times it was not by me. It may have been quoted by others.

I made my point once. Until you stated your opinion of it and I gave a courteous response as to why mine was a valid option too.

I prefer to be belittled in PM,s in the future.
Relax, it's an honest solution. It wasn't pushed upon anyone. Just mentioned one time

Back
Top Bottom