how to tame a rooster

I believe he's a RIR, but his tail is iridescent green, like an Americauna. The photo I entered into the calendar contest is of him.

There is a huge thread on this exact topic, posted about a month ago. There are also numerous others. New members, do a search, this topic has been discussed over and over again in just the last 3 months alone.

Basically, you cannot act submissive to the rooster, you cant act afraid him. Period. Ever.

If he comes at you, grab him and hold him down or pick him up until he calm down.
Every time he starts to approach you, walk right at him and tap him with a broom handle, dont have to hurt him, just "peck" him.
Walk through him, not around him.
Don't feed him treats, this is a submissive act.If you are with the hens giving them treats, push him away, never let him have any until you leave.
Never let him sit on you, that is acting submissive in his mind.

If this does not work after about a week, if he still comes after your, or other human, including kids, lock him up or chicken soup.

I apologize for asking a question already asked. I'll search next time. Thanks.

I believe he's a RIR, but his tail is iridescent green, like an Americauna. The photo I entered into the calendar contest is of him.

I apologize for asking a question already asked. I'll search next time. Thanks.

Direct your questions to those that work with roosters a lot. Those folks have largely kept quite on the taming issue because of a fundamental difference in philosophy with more vociferous parties with a lot less experience involving roosters.

To tame, consider isolating your rooster and working with him under more controlled conditions. Taming will also involve changes in your behavior and they will not involve you having to bully your bird. If you get into a situation you feel you are in conflict with a rooster and you are not comfortable working with him, then swap him out.

Question: what breed of chicken was your roo?
Sorry, hadn't checked in for a while!! My #1 was stunning Barred Rock rooster named Rocket Man. When he was chasing something, he was literally off like a rocket...cardinals, robind, squirrels, #2 roo, but never us. My #2, shoulder chicken was a handsome White Leghorn named Mr Peanut. When he came to live with us. He was about 1/4 of the size of my largest Barred Rock hen. To be fair, she was large boned. Though both of my roosters have passed away, I still have their pictures on my phone & often think lovingly of them. They were a delightful part of my family & flock.

I just got a rooster that came with his flock, and to be honest I am a bit nervous because my previous experiences with a rooster were not great. I have been able to pick him up and I held him upside down the other day but he's still a bit of an arrogant ass. He's a BEAUTIFUL Rhode Island Red, so I don't want to part with him, but I also don't want to have to wear S.W.A.T. gear to collect eggs.

Attachments

• 20171114_190853[1].jpg
    20171114_190853[1].jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 6
I just got a rooster that came with his flock, and to be honest I am a bit nervous because my previous experiences with a rooster were not great. I have been able to pick him up and I held him upside down the other day but he's still a bit of an arrogant ass. He's a BEAUTIFUL Rhode Island Red, so I don't want to part with him, but I also don't want to have to wear S.W.A.T. gear to collect eggs.

Er... I hate to say it, but I don't think that's a RIR... They have single combs, and his looks like something else... He is beautiful, I just don't think he's all RIR... Otherwise, I'm sorry, as I have no advice on roos. There are many on here who will be helpful.
Check out this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dealing-with-roosters-roo-behavior.48152/

Er... I hate to say it, but I don't think that's a RIR... They have single combs, and his looks like something else... He is beautiful, I just don't think he's all RIR... Otherwise, I'm sorry, as I have no advice on roos. There are many on here who will be helpful.
Check out this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dealing-with-roosters-roo-behavior.48152/
No need to apologize, That's just what I was told that he was. Soooo, anyone got a clue what this guy may be? (good thing I had a picture!)

He does only have a single comb, its just really bumpyish. The first picture does make it look like two, but its just one big red thing on his head. Its a really thick comb.

Attachments

• 20171115_092733[1].jpg
    20171115_092733[1].jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 5
No, that's not a single comb. A single comb doesn't mean that others have more than one... its a style, if you will, of comb. This is a Rhode Island Red, with a single comb.

ETA, you can also see (kinda) that he has bright yellow legs, another RIR trait.

RIR Rooster.jpg

Huh... I wonder what he is, then. I'm very new to chickens and can't really tell one from the other without someone telling me what to look for. He does have very bright, yellow legs when they aren't caked in mud.

Back
Top Bottom