how to tame a rooster

I need to know how to tame a rooster because my rooster is very protectiv of his coop and hens so every time I go to get eggs he gets me with his spurs so please help me

I'm going to offer a whole different approach to taming a rooster than what's been posted. Chickens, like all animals "think." I use that to my advantage. Whether it was taming my rooster or my hens so I can do health checks on all of them. Get yourself a dog training "clicker" and some live meal worms. Earth worms work just as well. Start with your most tame hen. Click the clicker and drop the worm where she can get it. She will start to cluck and brag about getting the special treat. Keep this up until she comes running when she hears the click. Then move on and click and treat 2 hens (the first and the next one who comes close). Trust me. All the others will be watching (especially the rooster) and will start to associate the click with the treat. Save your rooster for last even if he comes running to you upon hearing the click/treat. When all the hens come dashing to you click and treat them well ("jack pot") then put them away in the coop and shut the door. This will prevent your rooster from feeling like he needs to protect his ladies (which is a perfectly normal part of his genetics). Click and toss him several worms. To begin, the treat toss may need to be at a distance. Repeat this 3 times then let the hens out and leave. The next week or so, do this every time you go to the pen/coop; click and treat the hens, put them away and work with the rooster. In no time at all, using operant conditioning, you'll have your rooster eating worms out of your hand when he hears the click. Slowly wean them off worms every time, but keep using the clicker with random "jack pots" of worms to who ever gets to you first. It will be the rooster in no time. Basically you are teaching him to learn to earn his reward for being a gentleman. Whatever you do, DON'T kick at him with your feet and legs. This stimulates his adrenaline rush and he will perceive you as a big rooster who is after his gals. Taming a rooster to be friendly is much more fun than using harsh techniques which only makes him frightened of you instead of part of your flock. Fear in roosters, like dogs, usually manifests itself as aggression. Roosters are showy, flashy fun additions to any flock who will alert you to a fox, a raccoon, a hawk or a stray dog, but he need not be your enemy. Outwit him instead of terrifying him and both he and your hens will be more fun to have around.

Read this.

I'm scared of my Rooster I have had him since a baby and he attacks me.. my boyfriend wont let me get rid of him, I have a new leghorn hen I just rescued and she is terrified of him too, hes mean to her too I'm afraid he will kill her

Roosters that are human aggressive need to be in the crock pot... It's not smart to attack a creature who's 20x larger who feeds you every day! No brains, shouldn't reproduce either. If he can learn not to attack one individual human, he'll still go after everyone else. Dangerous, especially to children. If your boyfriend wants to live with him, so be it. Let him enjoy, and stay out of the coop yourself... Mary

I know your right and he has already tried to go after my Granddaughter while she was bent down with her back toward him...but I intercepted and kicked him! Im scared of him he docent attack my boyfriend though?? or so he says lol I have begged him to let me give him away but he said NO! we have had him since he was a hatch ling.... I don't know what to do\;.....Thanks

I know your right and he has already tried to go after my Granddaughter while she was bent down with her back toward him...but I intercepted and kicked him! Im scared of him he docent attack my boyfriend though?? or so he says lol  I have begged him to let me give him away but he said NO!  we have had him since he was a hatch ling.... I don't know what to do\;.....Thanks

Post a video of you and rooster having social problems. I can guide you through process to stop his aggression without causing bird stress and you less in the long-term.

ok but im afraid of him when I go out side i have to take a broom with me, when hes out during the day... Im working a lot this week but next day off I will, and Im not good on the computer so bear with me....Thank you, Candra

That will do. In the end you may be able to help many others with the same problem. I have one that I am training to be aggressive but method used may result in a different correction approach. If you have troubles uploading video do not hesitate to ask.

Back
Top Bottom