How to tell age of chicken?

Look at the size of the comb.
The first picture is a young hen
The second picture is an old hen

For a rooster look at the size of the spurs, the longer the spurs the older the rooster. I have a rooster that just began to crow few weeks ago. his spurs are less than quarter of an inch

Saying that. some breeds like leghorns have bigger combs

Last edited:
Look at the size of the comb.
The first picture is a young hen
The second picture is an old hen

For a rooster look at the size of the spurs, the longer the spurs the older the rooster. I have a rooster that just began to crow few weeks ago. his spurs are less than quarter of an inch

Saying that. some breeds like leghorns have bigger combs
Actually combing really has nothing to do with age(In my respective).

In my experience, there are certain things that just keep growing and I’ve noticed the older birds that I have have more dinosaur like feet. It’s like noses on humans. They just keep growing slightly.

Well I ask for the age if I was buying.Don't just go by what he/she says.Their in rush to rid of the birds,they don't really care about ages,or anything.
A few ways to tell.Look at a chicken.Look at it's attitude.What about if never has laid for you after you bought then hen and its been a year.Look at its facial features (Eyes).Hens older then 4-5 years begin getting droopy/stressed looking.Or from what i've notice are colder ten others.Look at the way it walks,fly,eats/drink,ETC.The older roosters the less crowing,and more down.
These things can tell.Older hens are calmer,more self sufficient,rarely ever lay(Like at all!).
This is older hens,what about mid ages?(1-2 years).First judge by its laying.Not all birds are excellent,but just if so,watch its laying.These birds are greater at laying when younger,depending on the breed.If the birds are healthy,and have not droopy faces,and run around freely,their more likely mid aged.(The only reason mid aged birds may have droopy faces,bad walking,and laying is because they can be stressed,or even badly sick.Or its crow,its often more freely if its a mid aged roo.
Pullet and cockeral.
These two subject harder.mainly because,their both different genders.Well,pullets and cockerals are just names for Teen chickens BTW.
These birds are normally not fully feathered,or don't have large combs,unless its rooster.The younger rooster,the more strutting,and more fighting.
Pullets on the other hand are more calmer.Between both though,you'll see them becoming sexually matured,that's another sign the young.

Oh thanks i prefer laymans terms!!!! All my hens except the original 7 have combs like the first hen you pictured...so basically the test of the hens are all young. Now do EE get regular combs or do theirs stay small like the first pic? The rest of my hens are all EE

Gender F
Gender M
(Whose older?From the info I have given you try figuring it out.Also Try guessing its age.Mid aged,Cockeral,or older Hen or rooster.

EE's have pea combs, always stay small.

Young birds have nice feathers. As they grow they are constantly molting hence the clean nice feathers. Older hens have rattier feathers and the rattier usually the more actively laying they are. But don't go by feathers for laying, pick the bird up and look at the vent. Do a search for photos of good healthy laying vents verses non laying hen vent.

I only buy birds from those I trust so yeah I do go by what age they say. Obvious for me to tell a pullet from a hen and if you can choose the birds to purchase from many vent inspection is and handling the bird to look over is a good policy to choose the best.

Oh thanks i prefer laymans terms!!!! All my hens except the original 7 have combs like the first hen you pictured...so basically the test of the hens are all young. Now do EE get regular combs or do theirs stay small like the first pic? The rest of my hens are all EE
Actually your hens have pea combs.I have a EE who has had Peacombs for ever,is natural for the breed,It's hard telling age on EE's,but its possible.The combing of that hen is actually like mines,juts when she is older.

I think combing has nothing to with age.Why?hens can have small combs no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom