How to tell emu chicks apart

Clucksworth

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Somerset UK
I was wondering what other people have been using to identify their chicks when they hatch. What do you use to tell them apart? Do you put coloured rings on their feet or put coloured dots on their heads/back? I was going to have all my emu chicks this year DNA sexed at a young age and I need to be able to tell them apart or I won't know who's feathers I've collected!
Thanks for any advice:)

I was wondering the same thing. I tried in the past to put color on their backs, it was hard to see and didn't last. I was thinking of using leg bands. I plan to DNA test also, does anyone want to switch a sexed chick? I would like to have a unrelated breeding pair.

you have to be careful. Emus, being very inquisitive birds, will sometimes peck at a dot or anything that looks "different" and gets their attention... you want to avoid your chicks being pecked on...
Oh my god ES you are so right El has 1 white feather on his back and Ed follows him around pulling on it every chance he can, it's ridiculous! lol

you have to be careful. Emus, being very inquisitive birds, will sometimes peck at a dot or anything that looks "different" and gets their attention... you want to avoid your chicks being pecked on...
I have been colouring in a spot on their backs and as farmchick897 said they do rub off quickly and the other chicks like to peck at it :/
I was also considering using leg bands or rings? has anyone else used leg bands or rings? If you do you leg bands what kind of rubber would be ok to use?

I bought an aerosol spray this spring, to identify one of my male Rheas.....at one time both went broody, but once chased off nests, sitting 17 eggs, 1 never sat again..as he has to run with the girls, NOT as fussy as Emus, anyone will do lol..but to make sure I sprayed him just once on lower neck front...can still see it now... it's orange and would also do for Emus ......it's available in many colours. Sheep farmers use it...if it should go off, just spray again. Hair can grow back.

Last edited:
Yes, DNA for Emus, I can sex Ostriches the day they hatch but not Emus. I have raised ratites for over 27 years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom