How to tell the gender of your Chook!

OnewChook

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, I am starting this to help people who may not know how to determine the sex of their much loved chooks!
This method works 80% of the time. So dont judge but if there is any i should Add PM me. Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

**I'M USING THIS METHOD ON MY TWO 15 WEEK OLD CHOOKS**

Starting with my Beautiful Boy Bumble.

COCKEREL

Face -

Looking at the facial area we can tell the size and colour of the Comb and Wattles. The size is very large and very red. Some people make the asumption that its a hen ready to lay.. WRONG! Also take note of the Ear lobe. The earlobe is usally large and over-exaggerated. The face is also very red in pigment.

Beak/Voice-

The vocals of the Cock make it dead simple. The Crowing. People do say that some pullets may crow before laying but not at 15 weeks they dont! Some Cocks can start crowing at only 5 days! #The beak really has no way of Sexing a chook.#

Tail -

The tail feathers can be a dead givaway to the sex. As you can see there are Sickles protruding off the tail. Sometimes the irradesence can be witnessed which may also be a sign of a Cock.

Feet -

Spurs.. At about 13-15 weeks the spurs will start to form. They will appear as hard lumps above the ankel.

Behaviour:

The behaviour shown by a cock is its aggressivness towards things, Like YOU! He will sometimes go 'Side-Saddle' on you. This is when he leans to one side and extends his wing down his leg. He will aso jump at you with a puffed out neck feathers.

Now over to my pretty girl pepper:

Pullets

Head -

As you can see, The comb and wattles are very small in size and her earlobes are simply fluff. Her entire facial area will range from rosey pink to angel pink in some cases. (Silkies will be black sometimes)

Tail -

The tail should form straight and upwards. With no sickles.

Feet -

Dont be alarmed if your Hen/Pulet develops stumps. Some pullets will have tiny little stumps the will turn into a larger stump. It wont turn into a full spur.

Some Notes:

#Sorry if some pictures are sideways. Its the way they were placed in BYC.#

#Method may not work on some breeds such as: Frizzle and Silkies.#

Anyway, Thats all for now.

-Mad Maddie

Actually some hens do develop spurs. I have a Red Sex Link hen that has fully developed spurs, they are about an inch long. It is not typical for most hens to have spurs but some get them. Its because of a higher level of testosterone.

Back
Top Bottom