How to tell the sex at day 1

ezicash

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I bought 4 Rhode island Reds at a livestock supply company that were all pullets. After 3 months I discovered one of my pullets was a Rooster. yesterday I just got done giving my beautiful RIR rooster to a farmer who had 24 chicks just for his pleasure (smile) it was a sad day for me because I got attached.

So this does not happen to anyone else here is a site to tell the difference at day 1 http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld006.htm

how to feather sex baby chicks.

Yes I have the same dilemma ezcash. I got mine TSC. They were in boxes marked sexed pullets. Now I have 2 Roos to find a home for. And I too am attached to Eddie and Rudy. Not sure what to do about finding a home for them. Any suggestions?

That only works on specialized hybrids, definitely not on purebreds like your RIRs. The "vent sexing" that professionals do at the hatchery is about 90% accurate, so occasionally you will get a male or 2. The only sure fire way to sex at hatch is to use a sex linked trait to hybridize, like the slow/fast wing feathering on the site you found, or color differences (red and black "sex links"). Or, you could get an "autosexing" breed like a Rhodebar. Rhodebars were derived from Rhode Island Reds and share a lot of their traits regarding laying, size, etc, but the chicks look completely different than a RIR chick, and the 2 sexes look very different also.

There are also some borderline auto-sexing breeds like Welsummers, that are pretty accurate, but the differences between the sexes is not as extreme and so it's possible to get it wrong.

Check out your farmers in your location, that is what I did and was very fortunate to find a farmer that had many many female hens looking for a great looking stud (smile)

Thanks. being a first time chicken grandma I am new to all this scientific stuff. I am happy I found a good home for my rooster, but my chicks are acting very funny today, almost like they miss the rooster, is that possible?

Yes they can miss a flock mate when that individual disappears. Even if they weren't best buddies the loss will leave a hole in the pecking order that everyone notices. They will soon reform the order and things should be back to normal. At the junvinile age they haven't really had a special place for the cockerel yet, like they would have for a full grown rooster.

The pecking order will now have to be reestablished, one of the hens will assume the leader role...there may be some fighting/pecking.

Yes, my lady is now the one in charge (smile) did not take long to re-establish who is in charge (smile)

Back
Top Bottom