How to use the whole animal (waste not want not)

My Mennonite friends speak "low German".
My friends aren't traditional anymore they left the church a generation ago... They still attend church but not the same one as the more traditional families. My ducks came from a traditional Mennonite family... amazing people, quite the work ethic.

Last edited:
So , back to basic's ..........who makes sausages ?? I make a traditional one with pork , my nephews have gone further and make , mild and hot , morning sausages , hot dog dog's , but I'd love to hear what others are making / as most use lesser cuts of meat I think it might play into this discussion ??

So , back to basic's ..........who makes sausages ?? I make a traditional one with pork , my nephews have gone further and make , mild and hot , morning sausages , hot dog dog's , but I'd love to hear what others are making / as most use lesser cuts of meat I think it might play into this discussion ??
muscovy duck, pork fat, cloves, cayenne, garlic, orange zest, garand marnier

duck l'orange in a sausage!!

I make a lot of sausage with venison, I add 20% pork fat. Italian, breakfast, hotdogs, etc. I use all the scraps, the front shoulders, shanks, neck, belly meat every bit of the deer that doesn't go into steaks and roasts. My favorite is venison Landjägers. I buy a premade mix/cure. Stuff it in hog casings. Cold smoke them for half a day and finish them in the oven, hanging by butcher strings. Oven at 180 degreesso the fat stays in the meat. I use a meat probe with a alarm that goes off when internal temp is 165. Then you hang and dry them for two weeks. Some of them I stuff loose and flatten, thats the traditional way, but most are round. They are super good. The easiest thing I make is venison bologna. I buy the premade mix from LEM online, mix for 25lbs only costs a few bucks more than the 5lb mix. 20% pork fat and grind with fine plate. Pack it in bread pans and bake at 200. After it cools cut the meat into bread size sqaures and I have a small meat slicer that works good slicing it. I don't like bologna but that stuff is good!
I used the same mix for venison hotdogs stuffed in sheep casings.
I was going to make venison pepperoni this yr but it's the first year in 14 that I didn't get a single deer and I usualy get one to three sometimes four.

Last edited:
I make a lot of sausage with venison, I add 20% pork fat. Italian, breakfast, hotdogs, etc. I use all the scraps, the front shoulders, shanks, neck, belly meat every bit of the deer that doesn't go into steaks and roasts. My favorite is venison Landjägers. I buy a premade mix/cure. Stuff it in hog casings. Cold smoke them for half a day and finish them in the oven, hanging by butcher strings. Oven at 180 degreesso the fat stays in the meat. I use a meat probe with a alarm that goes off when internal temp is 165. Then you hang and dry them for two weeks. Some of them I stuff loose and flatten, thats the traditional way, but most are round. They are super good. The easiest thing I make is venison bologna. I buy the premade mix from LEM online, mix for 25lbs only costs a few bucks more than the 5lb mix. 20% pork fat and grind with fine plate. Pack it in bread pans and bake at 200. After it cools cut the meat into bread size sqaures and I have a small meat slicer that works good slicing it. I don't like bologna but that stuff is good!
I used the same mix for venison hotdogs stuffed in sheep casings.
I was going to make venison pepperoni this yr but it's the first year in 14 that I didn't get a single deer and I usualy get one to three sometimes four.

That's my kind of man. I concur that pork has too much fat (and I am an extreme fat lover compared to most people, but a home raised pig is probably 80% fat by calories. What do I do with 100 lbs of lardo?), and mixing with venison is a win win win combination.

I brought my deer in to get processed , but it's expensive ! I won't be doing that again , maybe just meat to have sausages made , but not the whole deer . I have a couple books that have sausage recipes from all over the world , which is great .........but try to find the ingredients, especially the spices .

Beer, sounds delicious.

With pig, I think the shoulders, neck and shanks and other parts are often deemed crappy meat, but you can make wonderful stuff out of them. The neck makes delicious pulled pork. I've been making it so that I rub some salt and pepper on a 1kg piece, and then pour a can of coke on it and put it in a 120C oven for 5 hours. Then just tare the meat apart and add some BBQ sauce, and throw put it in the grill or in a hot oven for a while. The shanks are great when you score the skin a bit, rub in a paste made of mustard, honey, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper, place them on a bed of onion discs and roast for about 20min in 225C, then turn down the heat to 120C, add some apple and potato wedges and pour on some ale so that you get about an inch of it on the bottom. Then just leave it in the oven for a few hours, and you get deliciousness, a full meal made in one pan.

Last edited:
We always made a farmers sausage ? not as interesting as what others have one , but great fried , baked , BBQ'd and easy to make . The Ukrainians make a awesome cube garlic sausage ...........but they take there recipes to the grave unfortunately , I have tried ! old family secret ..blah blah

Back
Top Bottom