How to Vent Sex Coturnix

This is an excellent reference! I am excited to get my chicks and try to sex them. Thank You for your effort to post the pics and info!

Someone PMed me a few days ago about how to vent sex coturnix chicks...and I promised to help them. HOwever,being the dumby I am, I somehow deleted their pm and dont remember the screen name! SO if YOU read this please let me know you saw it so i dont feel so bad! LOL!
smile.png

First to see on a slightly bigger vented bird, is an over a week old marans chick Cockerel:
cockerelvent.jpg

Marans x orpington pullet(this picture was reported on photobucket as offensive...lol....but i uploadedit to byc....i see educational not offensive it's a bird butt what gives? LOL):
13329_henvent.jpg

And heres very young coturnix chicks, youngest is under a week old. Be forwarned, you CAN injure chicks doing this. I have yet to hurt any but I vent sex quickly, and if I cant tell within the first few tries I put them back and leave them alone for a few more days.

This is a cockerel coturnix chick, still a down puffy chick:
cockerelcoturnix.jpg

And heres two pullets:
coturnixchickpullet.jpg

smallpulletcoturnix.jpg

Cockerels will have a shiney almost circular bump in their vent, hens will not. Hens will have just pretty much an empty void. YOu MAY get pooed on vent sexing, and the easiest way i've found to avoid this is choose the chick you just saw poopie then you'll know they're clean for a few moments atleast
lau.gif
Or if you've seen how they do it on the "dirtest jobs" eppisode you can do that too. I've tried both ways, and I think the cleanest way is waiting for them to poo naturally lol.

Heres a chart I made up... #1's are the vent barely opened, #2's are the vents opened up without harming the chick to get the best look. I don't reccomend opening up a very small coturnix chicks vent they are so tiny youcould do internal damage.

IMG_8794.jpg

Hello, i know this post is very old, just hoping you will pick this up!
I took your pic out with me to sex my chicks and the all look the same to me! I even compared and 8 week old hen and Cockerel (colours indicate their sex) and they looked the same too! I have some 8 week frizzles and someone want to buy one but only if its a girl-and i cant be accurate-any other tips, on how to use this method?
Thanks
Vikki

I'm kind of in the same position. Both the ones I looked at were shiny all the way around. Were they both males?

Is there a little tag thingy at the bottom of the circular hole on the males?

I would really like to learn how to do this too, but I feel a bit confused.

Hello Monarc23
Do you have any other pictures that I could see.? The male picture here is a little blurry, though I did try to follow your advice but when I look at my new chicks they all looked the same. Is there a correct way to hold the chicks so that the vent opens in the right manner to see? or some thing else that would be of help to distinguish the difference?
Regards
Araty
Someone PMed me a few days ago about how to vent sex coturnix chicks...and I promised to help them. HOwever,being the dumby I am, I somehow deleted their pm and dont remember the screen name! SO if YOU read this please let me know you saw it so i dont feel so bad! LOL!
smile.png

First to see on a slightly bigger vented bird, is an over a week old marans chick Cockerel:
cockerelvent.jpg

Marans x orpington pullet(this picture was reported on photobucket as offensive...lol....but i uploadedit to byc....i see educational not offensive it's a bird butt what gives? LOL):
13329_henvent.jpg

And heres very young coturnix chicks, youngest is under a week old. Be forwarned, you CAN injure chicks doing this. I have yet to hurt any but I vent sex quickly, and if I cant tell within the first few tries I put them back and leave them alone for a few more days.

cockerelcoturnix.jpg

And heres two pullets:
coturnixchickpullet.jpg

smallpulletcoturnix.jpg

Cockerels will have a shiney almost circular bump in their vent, hens will not. Hens will have just pretty much an empty void. YOu MAY get pooed on vent sexing, and the easiest way i've found to avoid this is choose the chick you just saw poopie then you'll know they're clean for a few moments atleast
lau.gif
Or if you've seen how they do it on the "dirtest jobs" eppisode you can do that too. I've tried both ways, and I think the cleanest way is waiting for them to poo naturally lol.

Heres a chart I made up... #1's are the vent barely opened, #2's are the vents opened up without harming the chick to get the best look. I don't reccomend opening up a very small coturnix chicks vent they are so tiny youcould do internal damage.

IMG_8794.jpg

So if the rooster scalps the hen will her feathers grow back? I have a birchen cochin and I have noticed the rooster jumping her and she runs and now she's got a nice sized chunck scabbed over and I feel so sorry for her. I put her in a little area in my coop wthat I use for putting older chicks in. When it stops bleeding ill let her out and ill come back and he has done it agin. I think I'm gonna have to put him up instead of her :) he's a little meanie haha I understand its nature but he has other hens in there that he does not do that to...

Does anyone have pictures the can contribute to this thread or any other information? Please pay it forward, thanks for your help.
bow.gif

smile.png

cockerelvent.jpg

13329_henvent.jpg

cockerelcoturnix.jpg

And heres two pullets:
coturnixchickpullet.jpg

smallpulletcoturnix.jpg

lau.gif

IMG_8794.jpg
I know this was from 2009, but I am so grateful to have stumbled upon it. Thank you

I feel so dumb, but seriously I can't tell the difference in the pics!
I don't know I guess I need more practice, I'm still fairly new to raising chickens.

Thanks so much for this post, found it in a google search and it's definitely helpful!

Ah, have to admit I'm not doing well at vent sexing either.

They're even 5 1/2 weeks old.

The males that are crowing have swollen, wet, red vents but I could already tell they were male by their crowing anyway.

I know I have more males than the ones crowing, because some of mine are color sexable and their males aren't crowing at this time. I tried checking the vents of the goldens and I still can't tell the difference.

I'm just spreading. Should I be squeezing? Edit: Nevermind. Read page 6. Will try again.

I'm tired of being kicked by birds. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom