My bobwhite covey & the coturnix quail with an identity crisis

bus2325

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2023
Hi all, having been inspired by the wonderful posters here at BYC, I recently started rearing coturnix quails. I know this is going to sound silly but I have been rearing my 7 bobwhite chicks alongside a coturnix quail chick in the same brooder box.

That coturnix chick came from the only viable egg out of 4 and these eggs came from my own 10-week old flock. As luck would have it, the bobwhite eggs (a gift) were incubated with and hatched at the same time as my coturnix egg, which was put into the incubator about 5 days later than the bobwhites. Knowing that solo quail chicks do not do well on their own, I raised both that coturnix chick together with the bobwhite chicks.

Now that the chicks are nearly 4 weeks old, I have observed a few things:
1. The coturnix chick thinks it's a bobwhite! It darts & jumps everywhere. It will find the slightest reason to fly onto small platforms in the brooder box, just like its bobwhite nest mates & is also as somewhat skittish.
2. The bobwhite chick flock seems to have accepted the coturnix chick as part of their covey - they will call incessantly if the coturnix chick was ever removed from their brooder box or was out of their collective sights for some time.
3. The bobwhites & the coturnix chick seem to do everything together from eating/drinking, foraging to roosting. When the missus & I woke up this morning, we found that these chicks had escaped their brooder box together as a covey (someone left the lid slightly opened) & were wandering around together. Thankfully, they were kept indoors & after much running around, we managed to scoop up & return these skittish chicks back to their brooder box. As you can see, the coturnix chick is slightly larger than its bobwhite buddies. How it managed to fly out of the box through the narrow opening is beyond me. None of the chicks from my previous batches behaved anything like this.

My question is:
1. Should I try to reintroduce this chick with the adults of its kind soon? Will it acclimatise & start behaving more like a coturnix? I can just imagine the din we will be enduring from the bobwhite covey & the chick if we attempted the separation again.
2. Can bobwhites ever be as tame as coturnix quails? Some of these bobwhite chicks will eat out of our hands but they are still much more skittish than any coturnix we have reared (except for their coturnix nest mate with the identity crisis). How do you even train them?
3. Do bobwhite coveys accept members of other quail species or is this an unusual phenomenon? The differences in coloration and appearance should be quite obvious.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_5638.jpg
    DSC_5638.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_5637.jpg
    DSC_5637.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
In the fall and winter, Bob's in the wild will covey up with other species, ie; Blue Scale quail. Come spring time they will break up, pair up and go their separate ways.

Even in my pens where I have a mix of different species (Bob's and Blues) this behavior is noticed. You may or may not be able to re- interduce the Cot back to it's own species, just really depends on the attitude of the birds. Leaving it with the Bob's will most likely lead to a blood bath come spring but you run the same risk in interducing it back to the Cot's.

It's really a 'trial & error' type situation.

One thing you need to realize is, Bobwhites, and other new world quail have not been domesticated as long as Coturnix quail....so Bob's and other new world quail will always be skittish, flighty, they don't like to be picked up or handled. Some may tame down so they will eat out of your hand if they are handled everyday for long periods of time from the day they hatch but that isn't the norm. Gamebirds just don't make great 'pets'.

Last edited:
One thing you need to realize is, Bobwhites, and other new world quail have not been domesticated as long as Coturnix quail....so Bob's and other new world quail will always be skittish, flighty, they don't like to be picked up or handled. Some may tame down so they will eat out of your hand if they are handled everyday for long periods of time from the day they hatch but that isn't the norm. Gamebirds just don't make great 'pets'.
Thanks for your insight. I am still surprised to see the coturnix chick actually behaving like its bobwhite nest mates, whereas most of my other adult coturnixes will tolerate petting and fairly lengthy handling. Seems to be a learned behavior.

Thanks for your insight. I am still surprised to see the coturnix chick actually behaving like its bobwhite nest mates, whereas most of my other adult coturnixes will tolerate petting and fairly lengthy handling. Seems to be a learned behavior.
Well as I stated, if you handle them every day, most of the day, they will tame down quite a bit but they will still be skittish, it's just instinct, it hasn't been bred out of Bob's....yet! Coturnix have been captively bred for thousands of years but Bob's and other New World quail have not!

As far as you're Cot's behavior, it is totally in relation to being imprinted on the Bob's and not Coturnix. I don't believe it is possible to swap out roles here, I mean, if you were to put a Bob in with Cot chicks, it would still behave as a Bob.....at least that has been my experience in raising thousands of quail, often having a mixed brooder of chicks, everything from Bob's, Blues, Gambles, Valleys and Mountain quail, plus, all the color variations of Bob's, Mexican Speckled, Snowflake, Tennessee Reds, Blonde or Fawn color and Gray Barred. They all tend to stick to their own kind....'birds of a feather'! :D
The exception here is that Bob's will covey up with other Bob's, be it Tennessee Reds, Snowflakes, Mexican Speckled or Fawn and Gray Barred but not with another species, ie; Cot's, Gambles, Valleys, Mountain....they just don't speak the same language. ;)

Last edited:
I am actually thinking of the sole coturnix chick mimicking its bobwhite nest mates in its behavior. It would be interesting to see if it can actually start behaving more like a coturnix when/if it ever gets re-introduced to the adult coturnixes. Really hedging on this gamble.

I am actually thinking of the sole coturnix chick mimicking its bobwhite nest mates in its behavior. It would be interesting to see if it can actually start behaving more like a coturnix when/if it ever gets re-introduced to the adult coturnixes. Really hedging on this gamble.
All I can really tell you is: try it, it might work...it might not? Birds have different personalities, just like people have different personalities. Some get along fine, other's not so much! :lau

Last edited:
Just an update - unsuccessful "re-introduction" of my pullet coturnix to her kind. Within 10 minutes, she "played" really rough & attacked several coturnix quail hens, including what I thought was the alpha female. Since they were eggs layers & I didn't want to stress them out, I had to return the rogue pullet with the identity crisis back to her bobwhite companions.

Just an update - unsuccessful "re-introduction" of my pullet coturnix to her kind. Within 10 minutes, she "played" really rough & attacked several coturnix quail hens, including what I thought was the alpha female. Since they were eggs layers & I didn't want to stress them out, I had to return the rogue pullet with the identity crisis back to her bobwhite companions.
Well, looks like you got one that isn't going to change....either, it will be with the Bob's or be alone! or it could go to freezer camp or be re-homed but that would just be pushing her off on someone else.

Well, looks like you got one that isn't going to change....either, it will be with the Bob's or be alone! or it could go to freezer camp or be re-homed but that would just be pushing her off on someone else.
Egg layers here have immunity from freezer camp or any sorts of premature Earth leaving procedures. Logistics is an issue but... I've got no choice. I am still surprised to see her taking on the alpha hen, which is about 50% larger & heavier than she is... but then, if that rogue pullet could survive rough play with her bobwhite covey, I guess anything is possible.

Attachments

• Rogue Coturnix Pullet with her Bobwhite covey.jpg
    Rogue Coturnix Pullet with her Bobwhite covey.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 87
I have a similar situation going on with my quail! I have a flock of about 20 coturnix and one bobwhite hen named Karen that lives with them. She used to live with my other bobwhites but she was constantly picked on by them. After getting pretty beat up by my male bobwhite I had to move her with my coturnix and they all get along much better. It's funny though, because she sort of displays coturnix behavior as well! Unlike my other bobwhites, Karen is much more tolerant of being touched or held and she is not as skittish as them either. Could just be a coincidence though. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom