How to wean bottle baby lambs

Thanks.

His name is Piddle, you can probably guess why.
wink.png

Ewes don't produce water for their lambs to suckle. Water should always be available and they should still be bottle-feeding on lamb replacement formula. I have never given water from a bottle. The formula will give them the fluid they need until they take to the bucket of water-though I use a dog dish as it seems less intimidating. Depending on how your lambs are doing, at 4 weeks I still have them on 3 bottles a day. And they are getting some fluid from green grass. I would drop the bottle watering (I know it is hard to say no), stick to formula and let them figure it out as it seems they are with feed.

Hello all,

I have 2 bottle baby lambs that are 1 month old now.  I want to start weaning them but I can't get them to drink water out of a bucket.  They are eating grass and they started nibbling at the sheep feed but what they really want is their bottle.

I try to get them to drink water out of the bucket but they aren't interested in it at all.  I then feel like I am forced to give them water in a bottle.

I don't know what to do.  Do I just stop giving them the bottle of water and they will eventually get thirsty enough to drink out of a bucket?  I'm just scared they will get dehydrated since it is starting to get hotter here during the day.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Tami

Hello all,

I have 2 bottle baby lambs that are 1 month old now.  I want to start weaning them but I can't get them to drink water out of a bucket.  They are eating grass and they started nibbling at the sheep feed but what they really want is their bottle.

I try to get them to drink water out of the bucket but they aren't interested in it at all.  I then feel like I am forced to give them water in a bottle.

I don't know what to do.  Do I just stop giving them the bottle of water and they will eventually get thirsty enough to drink out of a bucket?  I'm just scared they will get dehydrated since it is starting to get hotter here during the day.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Tami

Hi there. Four weeks is not really enough. It can be done but it would be better to give them milk 60-90 days. I have been hand rearing about ten lambs a year on the farm here for about 5 years. Supply them with water and pasture and they will find their way. Forcing them is not a good practise in my view. They may get liquid in their lungs which will often follow them the rest of their life as they are not sucking and drinking through the wrong channel which can result in resperitory problems. Reduce the amount of milk you give them gradually. Usually max 500 ml is enough after 4 weeks in two feeds. If you don't have the time give them a feed a day of that same amount or a bit less

Back
Top Bottom