How/when to start peafowl?

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
So, I got chickens last year after wishing for years to get them. This year expanded to hatching my own (with broodies), and then added ducks and guineas. Now, I think it would be awesome to have peafowl. A few questions. . .

How did you start peafowl? Did you have chickens?

Did you build a separate coop? Do peafowl have larger space requirements? How many is a friendly flock of peafowl, a pair, 4, 8? Do they have to free range, or can I build an enclosed are to keep them safe (will they be 'happy' enclosed)?

I have taken to my small scale farming like crazy, a great outlet for me stress wise, and I love it. I honestly cannot imagine not having birds now. I have been lurking on these pages, but see many specific questions, but fewer general ones like the above.

Thanks for any input.

Ps my grandma (who also chicken farmer) had a friend on a farm we visited every summer, she had a pool(upscale back then) and a pond, and peafowl that roosted in what I remeber was a huge barn. I can remember hearing them call and I loved it.

Hello,
Perhaps you have already looked at the stickies (see below)?
They have quite a bit of general information about peas.
Many here have chickens and peas and will be able to answer questions that aren't answered there.
You will definitely love living with peas; they have so much personality!

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

I have read through the stickies, actually just after I posted. Oops, I have been here long enough to know better.

So I did learn lots. How many birds do you keep?

I am looking at it just for the pleasure of having them. I do sell chicken eggs, but certainly don't turn a profit. I have added chickens this year just to have a completely multi color flock. I love the soothing noise, and even the guineas make us laugh.

Do peas call at night? Even though our guineas are loud, they are quiet at night, and we are happy with that. We live in the middle of ten acres, I think we would be fine. There's a lake a few miles away, one of the private farms has peafowl, I love to hear them!

How did you start peafowl? I bought live chicks Did you have chickens? Yes I do
Did you build a separate coop?No all my birds go into a 14 foot shed, the peas roost at the to and chicken at the bottom Do peafowl have larger space requirements? Yes my breeder pens are 20 x 15 and 2 15 x 45. The main pen in the middle is 50 x 45. How many is a friendly flock of peafowl, a pair, 4, 8? I like it best with trios (1 male 2 hens) but it really doesn't turn out that way I ended up with more males thus more birds. Do they have to free range, or can I build an enclosed are to keep them safe (will they be 'happy' enclosed)? You can do either but I myself perfer to keep mine enclosed for safety reasons. I have a semi busy road and if a car hit my bird I would be out a bird and have to pay for any danage to the car. My birds cost me to much to take the gamble on free ranging. Would be nice to do but not for me.
Mine will call at night if a motorcycle drives by and will call during breeding season but otherwise mine are quiet at night. I have 34
I answered your questions based on my opinion and what works for me. You might decide to do it different and it's you right to do so
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom