How would you go about breeding a mottled naked neck?

InterestingChickens

Free Ranging
Aug 19, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Hi all,
I'm wondering how would you breed naked necks using primary colours such as brown or black to create a mottled naked neck, as there doesn't seem to be any around here that are mottled. Interested to see what you would have too do. Thanks.

Hold on I saved a chart on Pinterest and am trying to find it I can’t remember what is said exactly. I do know that molted coloration is a resssive trait, so if you had one and wanted more you would need a roo and hen to create more.

You just need both genes.
If there isn't any mottled NN around try to find black NNs and breed to a mottled bird.
Then breed any of those offspring with NNs to each other or back to the mottled bird.
From there you'll need to bred for desired look and homozygous for both NN and mottled to bred true

You just need both genes.
If there isn't any mottled NN around try to find black NNs and breed to a mottled bird.
Then breed any of those offspring with NNs to each other or back to the mottled bird.
From there you'll need to bred for desired look and homozygous for both NN and mottled to bred true
X2 breed a black naked neck and mottled bird together. Cross the offspring together. Select mottled, naked necked offspring. If you want them to breed true select non-bow-tie birds from the next generation.

Bow tie?
Sorry I'm pretty new to this side of chickens. :oops:
A bow tie is a bit of feathering on the neck of a naked neck. Like an actual bow tie. My NN pullet has this and I believe it's an undesired trait, but will show up. Her neck is naked all the way down from the back of her head to base of neck, with the exception of her bow tie

Bow tie?
Sorry I'm pretty new to this side of chickens. :oops:
1622632761603.jpeg

No bow tie from the Google
1622632800807.jpeg
Bow tie from the Google. See that tuft of feathers on the neck?
The naked neck trait is codominant with the wild type, so they both show up in the heterozygous birds.

Back
Top Bottom