Howdy from Austin Tx...

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your loss. It's super tough. However, it doesn't make it easier emotionally but it does help equip you for future issues. We recently had to cull a whole flock due to negligence on my part of not quarantine and infecting the whole flock, that was tough but nothing like losing a little one in my opinion. Hugs. It does get better.

Last edited:
I joined in a flurry of questions last night because I had a chick who was not doing well so I hadn't had a chance to introduce myself.
Here goes...

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

• I am indeed new to chickens, though I have been thinking of getting them for years. They're quite popular here in Austin and I grew up eating yard eggs from a pair of elderly brothers who kept chickens up the hill from our place. In fact, we might have been the only family on this street at that time who didn't have chickens!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

•I brought home 5 three day old chicks on Saturday.

(3) What breeds do you have?

•I have one each Easter Egger, Dominique, Barrred Rock, RIR and Golden Comet. Sadly, my Easter Egger passed away last night after a relatively short period of lethargy. All day Saturday and Sunday she was tops-good appetite, super active and a big personality. Then Monday afternoon I noticed her just kinda standing in one place a long time and doing nothing else. Long story short, in spite of my trying what I could, she never did recover and passed away about an hour ago. 😪

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

•I love what characters they are! Endless entertainment for me and my dogs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

•I love to garden and have a mild obsession with succulents; trying my hand at starting vegetables from seed for the 1st time in 20 years, wish me luck!
I also enjoy sewing, crocheting, cooking and cracking a good book here and there.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live on a half acre with my 3 dogs, Chewbacca, Han Solo and Bravo, and my one cat Matildé. I have a white collar job from which I am furloughed for the time being, which is why I finally pulled the trigger on starting my very own backyard flock. I often fantasize that this is my chance to start a small urban farmstand where I sell eggs and succulents to the young hipsters who've recently moved into my neighborhood, trade in my white collar for a green one...I suppose time will tell...

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

•I found out about BYC while combing the internet last night for answers to my questions about my sick chick. I joined because after reading through many threads with so many friendly and knowledgeable people, I had no choice but to join!

Thanks for reading amd I hope to have plenty of great convos with y'all in the future!
Welcome!!
I'm about an hour north. And I'm still full of chicken questions, never ends, it seems...

Good morning, all. It was a rough night/morning and I'm still hurting but waking up to your welcomes and sympathies has been a good way to start the day. The rest of my baby birbs are up amd at em and ready to have their paper towels changed! Miss Garnet, the RIR on the left is getting quite tall and has already tried to fly the brooder several times this morning. 😂

Attachments

• 20200421_121607.jpg
    20200421_121607.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom