Howdy from Lubbock, Texas!

Mongocaver

Songster
6 Years
Mar 29, 2017
Lubbock, Texas
Hi there,
My wife Kelly and I are here to learn all we need to know to raise fowl on our 11 acres for fun. We have owned it for a little over 20 years now and figure it is about time to start stretching our wings a bit.
We have 15 chicks coming about the middle of June so I will shortly be building a coop and run. I already have them all designed out and can't wait to get started.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and experiences on this forum! Without you, there wouldn't be a forum.
Thanks again,
James

Greetings from Kansas, James, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! You have certainly come to the right place to the learn the ropes of chicken keeping. The Learning Center is packed with informative articles that will set you up nicely. Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
If you'd like to chat with some of your fellow TX poultry folks, find the TX thread in this link and say hello: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Best wishes on your poultry journey and thanks for joining BYC!!
celebrate.gif

G’Day from down under James
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Welcome to the ultimate Clan and Club of Poultry Lovers, James! :welcome
It's always wonderful to gain a new member and friend here on BYC!
All of birds are all part of one massive, unanimously-beloved flock on BYC- and we can't wait to assist in any way possible!
We're glad you're here!!!
:jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
~Sarah

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens James, it's nice to meet you. How does your Schnauzer feel about chickens?

I would unfortunately guarantee our 4 Schnauzers feel about chickens like they feel about the other poor critters that have invaded their yard and died. As some of you may know Schnauzers are 120 pound Rottweilers in 15 pound bodies. Ours have a 1/2 acre chain link fenced yard to patrol and their own doggy door to come and go as they please. Every time a dog barks in the area they must investigate and they can also see through the fence for miles. They are quite muscular from all the running and have very little fat.
We will probably let them smell of the chicks and keep them in the loop as the chicks grow. Because the chickens will have their own separate paradise they won't ever be alone with each other, but I pretty much expect the hens will hold their own if they are!

Thanks for the welcome!

Back
Top Bottom