Hubby disinterested in poultry..

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
Ok ya'll I love my poultry. Seriously it's my passion lol. My husband not so much. He doesn't hate them he just is disinterested. Any tips for getting him more interested in them? Maybe getting him to share in the craziness oops I mean passion lmao
1f602.png

Simply enjoy them for what they are. Your hobby. I'm guessing that your hubby has his hobbies also, and they may or may not be of interest to you. My hubby is not at all interested in my hobbies which include everything poultry, and gardening. He is supportive, and really, that's sufficient for me. He will help me when I need help, and even gave up 10 weekends to build a coop with me. Now, that's sacrificial love! But, when it comes to tending the birds, building smaller coops or tractors, or moving my green house, building cold frames, brooders, or any of the other stuff that goes along with my passion, I'm on my own.

I'm going to answer from both side of this. As a husband, and as chicken obsessed spouse.

If you want buy-in, it can't automatically be responsibility. Looking at getting new chicks? Ask him if he wants input. Don't make it work for him to take at least a passive interest in them. I won't say that breeds resentment, but it certainly sows those seeds, if the only involvement is time and work.

That said, I'm not one to push it. Pushing it is going to create more problems than it fixes. IMO.

Simply enjoy them for what they are.  Your hobby.  I'm guessing that your hubby has his hobbies also, and they may or may not be of interest to you.  My hubby is not at all interested in my hobbies which include everything poultry, and gardening.  He is supportive, and really, that's sufficient for me.   He will help me when I need help, and even gave up 10 weekends to build a coop with me.  Now, that's sacrificial love!  But, when it comes to tending the birds, building smaller coops or tractors, or moving my green house, building cold frames, brooders, or any of the other stuff that goes along with my passion, I'm on my own.  

I very much love my husband. He is supportive for the most part. He helps me build my coops. He let's me bring them in the house when brooding, hatching or sick. He has helped me give shots etc.. But I want him to get to experience the good parts. The actual joy of it. Ive never made him be a part but me and the kids all have involvment. I feel like it would be a great thing to be involved with as a family effort. I think he would be willing to try. Just not sure how to make him fall in love lmao

I'm going to answer from both side of this. As a husband, and as chicken obsessed spouse.

If you want buy-in, it can't automatically be responsibility. Looking at getting new chicks? Ask him if he wants input. Don't make it work for him to take at least a passive interest in them. I won't say that breeds resentment, but it certainly sows those seeds, if the only involvement is time and work.

That said, I'm not one to push it. Pushing it is going to create more problems than it fixes. IMO.

That's a good idea. I let him help me pick out a pair of goslings. He actually seemed to take more of an interest there so maybe just baby steps to start with.

If it is going to bring him joy, it has to be his choice.

Well the goslings are for me lol but je seemed to be more active in picking the breed. I thought that was a good sign. As for joy. My hubby works his butt off at his job long hours and long weeks as a mechanic. He doesn't have many past times. He is always working. So also hoping this may help him to relax a bit. He loves small fluffy dogs and I mostly keep silkies so hoping he might enjoy them lol

I'd be satisfied that he's supportive of your hobby. Maybe birds just aren't his cup of tea. Granted I thought the same of my husband (he hated that I came into the relationship with pet birds) but now he's even more protective of the chickens than I am, though he mostly enjoys simply watching them. But I do like the idea of asking him for his input on new birds, as that makes him part of the process instead of just "coop builder" or "sick chicken nurse."

I think it's really sweet that you want to pass on the joy to him. :)
Have you talked to him openly about this? Some of your wording makes me believe you haven't, and I think clear communication is just always the best approach to most 'problems' in relationships. And I'd be really happy if my gf told me she wants to make me happy like that.

Back
Top Bottom