Hope he's doing better.

Clean his eyes with saline that you purchase at the store or you can make your own as suggested.
Wipe all the pus from his eyes. If you have Terramycin eye ointment, put some of that in the eye, if not, you can use Original Neosporin. Clean both eyes at least once daily and apply your ointment.

Move the feathers around on his head and see how bad the wound(s) on his head are. Clean them with saline, apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Quail can be quite anxious and wiggly. If you take a hand towel and swaddle him in the towel to help capture his wings and feet when you work on his eye and wounds, he will be a little calmer. I had one that got pecked hard in the eye (Quail are not nice to each other!), he would calm down pretty well, once swaddled so I could treat his eye.

Is he eating o.k.? What do you feed him? He may like his normal feed and bits of scrambled egg.

Hopefully you can get rid of the rat. Rats will kill your Quail, small chicks and juvenile chickens. It can be a battle once you have critters, but I think you can win this!

1699896202868.png

Hope he's doing better.

Clean his eyes with saline that you purchase at the store or you can make your own as suggested.
Wipe all the pus from his eyes. If you have Terramycin eye ointment, put some of that in the eye, if not, you can use Original Neosporin. Clean both eyes at least once daily and apply your ointment.

Move the feathers around on his head and see how bad the wound(s) on his head are. Clean them with saline, apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

Quail can be quite anxious and wiggly. If you take a hand towel and swaddle him in the towel to help capture his wings and feet when you work on his eye and wounds, he will be a little calmer. I had one that got pecked hard in the eye (Quail are not nice to each other!), he would calm down pretty well, once swaddled so I could treat his eye.

Is he eating o.k.? What do you feed him? He may like his normal feed and bits of scrambled egg.

Hopefully you can get rid of the rat. Rats will kill your Quail, small chicks and juvenile chickens. It can be a battle once you have critters, but I think you can win this!

View attachment 3682968
Thank you I am trying that, thankfully he is alive it seems like his eyeball is shifted a little to the bottom or his skin is shifted up top. Also any idea why sometimes he starts walking backwards? He is okay (alive not necessarily living the best right now but alive) just has been standing still ñ, eyes closed. I started slowly petting him before I grab him because I don’t want him thinking I am trying to kill him (seems to be working, he does tense up though: stands up, on pinky toes, and chest up eyes closed. His eyes are still foggy and I am scared to try to do anything but will still attempt to do what you guys have recommended, thank you ❤️🙏

Also @Ursuline Chick I changed the color on my led light bulb and si think him and the chicks next to him enjoy it more, so thank you, ❤️🙏 instead of it looking like the sun in their face it’s now like a sunset color, orange ish and yellow ish (darker but still light enough to see) they are also in my closet for the time being so I can close the door enough to give them ventilation but so my main room light doesn’t bother them) thank you all!!! :hugs :highfive:

Hope he gets through this and recovers

Small update I have him on my lap on my chair and I think he can see but blurry ish (kind of reminds me on when I broke a stick and a piece flew into my eye how my eye was blurry for a couple days/hours) anyways I think so because he is like cuddling next to my arm as I am typing this 🥲

Last post for a little while (I’m typing a lot), should I apply a small amount of poultry permethrin dust onto him? I am asking because due to my last thread I believe I have a mite/lice infestation so I don’t want him dealing with that and those insects, also I don’t them to go to my chicks. Should I? Or is it too risky?

Hope he's doing better.

View attachment 3682968
Hey sorry just saw this, thank you for the tips, he would eat pellets (by like swallowing them like a hot dog till one day Inreslized it must suck as it must take a lot of space and little food in his (forgot what the ball thing is called)). Now he eats the same as the chicks which is protein starter. I also mix the small amount of protein starter with mixed flock feed.

I will scramble an egg right now! Thanks :hugs

Hope he's doing better.

View attachment 3682968
Hey so I found some but it’s not from here and is a different brand, it’s still the terramicina and an eye ointment (it’s for humans, that fine?). Does it work? Also I’m guessing I would obviously use a cotton swab to apply it (want to make sure not to harm him anymore than he is already is).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 4
Hey so I found some but it’s not from here and is a different brand, it’s still the terramicina and an eye ointment (it’s for humans, that fine?). Does it work? Also I’m guessing I would obviously use a cotton swab to apply it (want to make sure not to harm him anymore than he is already is).
I can tell you how we were trained to give eye ointment, or eye drops. Gently pull the lower lid down and drop a small amount into the "cup" from pulling the lower lid down. I would not use a cotton swab or cotton balls, for fear one of those fibers would end up in his eye and irritate it more. I hope this works. Oh, wash your hands good before and AFTER you work on his eye. Good luck and when you get a chance, (down the road) let us know how he is doing.

Thank you I am trying that, thankfully he is alive it seems like his eyeball is shifted a little to the bottom or his skin is shifted up top. Also any idea why sometimes he starts walking backwards? He is okay (alive not necessarily living the best right now but alive) just has been standing still ñ, eyes closed. I started slowly petting him before I grab him because I don’t want him thinking I am trying to kill him (seems to be working, he does tense up though: stands up, on pinky toes, and chest up eyes closed. His eyes are still foggy

Last post for a little while (I’m typing a lot), should I apply a small amount of poultry permethrin dust onto him? I am asking because due to my last thread I believe I have a mite/lice infestation so I don’t want him dealing with that and those insects, also I don’t them to go to my chicks. Should I? Or is it too risky?

Yes, I would use the Terramicina, glad you have that!

The eye may be cloudy because it needs to be cleaned out. He's got some discharge in the eyes, so try to flush or wipe that away. Use saline if you have it or you can easily make your own.

I saw the thread about the loss of your rooster, I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. To me, it looked like he had lice. Do you see any lice on your Quail? You can dust him with Permethrin poultry dust if you feel he may have some lice.
I put a little powder in an old sock, tie the end and it makes a "powder puff". You can use that to tap onto the feathers like a puff, then work the powder down through the feathers to the skin. Get under his wings, around his vent, between his legs. For his little head, I'd just take a bit of powder on the fingers and work it into his head feathers taking care to avoid the eyes the best you can. Powder him before you rinse the eye and put ointment in them. (Wear gloves to apply the powder and when treating his eyes.)

Follow @Ursuline Chick instruction on applying the ointment in the eye.

Chick starter is fine to feed him, that's a good idea.

The walking backwards could be due to the injury of the head (trauma).
Do you have any vitamins on hand? If possible, give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. The E helps with nerve support and the B vitamins help support the nervous system and legs along with helping E do its job.

Giving him low light is a good idea too. Do you have him in a plastic tub? Is it large enough to place a cardboard box in there that has a cut out so he can have a hiding place like a cave? They really like hiding places, or at least mine do.

You're doing good taking care of him, just keep it up and go slow with him. He'll get used to you handling him over the next few days and become a little more comfortable. Right now, he's just scared and hurt.

Does this little guy have a name?

Yes, I would use the Terramicina, glad you have that!

The eye may be cloudy because it needs to be cleaned out. He's got some discharge in the eyes, so try to flush or wipe that away. Use saline if you have it or you can easily make your own.

I saw the thread about the loss of your rooster, I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. To me, it looked like he had lice. Do you see any lice on your Quail? You can dust him with Permethrin poultry dust if you feel he may have some lice.
I put a little powder in an old sock, tie the end and it makes a "powder puff". You can use that to tap onto the feathers like a puff, then work the powder down through the feathers to the skin. Get under his wings, around his vent, between his legs. For his little head, I'd just take a bit of powder on the fingers and work it into his head feathers taking care to avoid the eyes the best you can. Powder him before you rinse the eye and put ointment in them. (Wear gloves to apply the powder and when treating his eyes.)

Follow @Ursuline Chick instruction on applying the ointment in the eye.

Chick starter is fine to feed him, that's a good idea.

The walking backwards could be due to the injury of the head (trauma).
Do you have any vitamins on hand? If possible, give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. The E helps with nerve support and the B vitamins help support the nervous system and legs along with helping E do its job.

Giving him low light is a good idea too. Do you have him in a plastic tub? Is it large enough to place a cardboard box in there that has a cut out so he can have a hiding place like a cave? They really like hiding places, or at least mine do.

You're doing good taking care of him, just keep it up and go slow with him. He'll get used to you handling him over the next few days and become a little more comfortable. Right now, he's just scared and hurt.

Does this little guy have a name?
Okay thank you:)! No I don’t see lice (not like my previous poor sultan had but I am just concerned in case he does have some, he doesn’t seem to be messing with his feathers much so I don’t really think so)

I sadly don’t have vitamins I only had dewormer (which I had mixed the natural medicated dewormer pellets with my flock feed bin) I have some poultry electrolytes that I had already put in his water though.

The tub is 1ft x 1ft x 1ft (LxWxH) I have a small 3 inch tall 3 inch (diameter) cup with food for him and another cup same but bigger of water so there is space for a little fort or cardboard box
(I added one that is like 5 inches tall and 8 inches long with like 5 inches wide and he LOVES IT, he likes hiding there and laying sitting down.

Will get into doing the ointment and applying more Vaseline on the wounds (I added some yesterday but it’s like dried already)

And yes he does have a name, Pinto (reminded me of a pinto bean (brown with some spots and cute) when he was 1 month old after being incubated 🥲❤️🫘

Thank you a lot @Wyorp Rock & @Ursuline Chick :hugs:highfive::)

Back
Top Bottom