Yes, I would use the Terramicina, glad you have that!

The eye may be cloudy because it needs to be cleaned out. He's got some discharge in the eyes, so try to flush or wipe that away. Use saline if you have it or you can easily make your own.

I saw the thread about the loss of your rooster, I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. To me, it looked like he had lice. Do you see any lice on your Quail? You can dust him with Permethrin poultry dust if you feel he may have some lice.
I put a little powder in an old sock, tie the end and it makes a "powder puff". You can use that to tap onto the feathers like a puff, then work the powder down through the feathers to the skin. Get under his wings, around his vent, between his legs. For his little head, I'd just take a bit of powder on the fingers and work it into his head feathers taking care to avoid the eyes the best you can. Powder him before you rinse the eye and put ointment in them. (Wear gloves to apply the powder and when treating his eyes.)

Follow @Ursuline Chick instruction on applying the ointment in the eye.

Chick starter is fine to feed him, that's a good idea.

The walking backwards could be due to the injury of the head (trauma).
Do you have any vitamins on hand? If possible, give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. The E helps with nerve support and the B vitamins help support the nervous system and legs along with helping E do its job.

Giving him low light is a good idea too. Do you have him in a plastic tub? Is it large enough to place a cardboard box in there that has a cut out so he can have a hiding place like a cave? They really like hiding places, or at least mine do.

You're doing good taking care of him, just keep it up and go slow with him. He'll get used to you handling him over the next few days and become a little more comfortable. Right now, he's just scared and hurt.

Does this little guy have a name?
Also I'm not sure if his eyes are swollen or they shifted or the skin is being pulled back to heal buy his eyes look more forward than where his eye hole is, is there anyways I can help him with that?

Also I'm not sure if his eyes are swollen or they shifted or the skin is being pulled back to heal buy his eyes look more forward than where his eye hole is, is there anyways I can help him with that?
Can you get some good photos of what his eyes look like now?

Likely they are swollen for some reason if the skin is pulled tight. Does he have swelling at the top of his head?
How are the wounds on his head healing up? Any odors or pus?

Pinto is a good name!

Likely they are swollen for some reason if the skin is pulled tight. Does he have swelling at the top of his head?

Pinto is a good name!
I upgraded his cage! It is one of those Roa it cages with like metal all around but a lot of room (want him to be be comfy), he has just been standing in one place with his head down but body up 😕. I haven’t seen him eat or drink myself but I use a dropper and slowly drop water for him to drink.

The wounds seem dry and on the outside all right, I can’t really see swelling on top, do you think he is going through an infection even though I dealt with him? Could that be why he is so tired and lethargic even though it’s 2 wounds, like maybe it’s messing with his brain (more I think about it the more it worries me)

When I grab him he doesn’t try running anymore and he is calm, but he also keeps his eyes closed ALOT, sometimes I see them with like eye booger so I clean it gently and then he will open his eyes a little then close them for a while.

Can’t really smell the same as I had gotten COVID 19 a couple months ago (still smell, not the same strength (I guess I would call it that)) but I can’t see pus and can’t smell any odors apart from just regular poop.

Thank you 😅

Pinto is a good name!
(Turned the light on bright just to take the photo, I turned it back to orange ish red right after)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 12
  • E9205AA7-5EF8-489B-9E58-A734CF468F44.jpeg
    E9205AA7-5EF8-489B-9E58-A734CF468F44.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 898DFF0D-D548-4581-978A-49978679BB1E.jpeg
    898DFF0D-D548-4581-978A-49978679BB1E.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 11
  • FEE89DCE-89C1-4562-BDAE-25A60EF128E3.jpeg
    FEE89DCE-89C1-4562-BDAE-25A60EF128E3.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 26945009-FE81-4CF8-9494-5A743567FAF5.jpeg
    26945009-FE81-4CF8-9494-5A743567FAF5.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 12
  • A08120A6-97A1-41FB-AD05-FE2953E18F1D.jpeg
    A08120A6-97A1-41FB-AD05-FE2953E18F1D.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 9B5A40E9-3432-428D-BCCA-E52BC2EAB857.jpeg
    9B5A40E9-3432-428D-BCCA-E52BC2EAB857.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 31BB6950-DFF8-4164-B27C-5482B9B91860.jpeg
    31BB6950-DFF8-4164-B27C-5482B9B91860.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 30C79D9F-FF80-4A79-843F-391D8CF3A409.jpeg
    30C79D9F-FF80-4A79-843F-391D8CF3A409.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 8
  • A512A1A5-31F2-4885-8C00-4CB6C9B26E8F.jpeg
    A512A1A5-31F2-4885-8C00-4CB6C9B26E8F.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 83DA04CD-2EC6-41DD-B134-95CDB3FCD803.jpeg
    83DA04CD-2EC6-41DD-B134-95CDB3FCD803.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 493FBB5F-7EDB-481C-B71D-33A7D4A0A522.jpeg
    493FBB5F-7EDB-481C-B71D-33A7D4A0A522.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 39B5A5E7-839B-423C-B95C-27E9898A0F32.jpeg
    39B5A5E7-839B-423C-B95C-27E9898A0F32.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 11
Nice cage!

Can you put some bedding in there for him, like pine shavings? He may be afraid on the plastic or it may feel a bit slippery to him. Shelf liner will work too, but it will need to be cleaned more often.

Have you been able to put the ointment in his eyes after you clean them? Hopefully the ointment will be soothing and make the eyes feel better.

Work on getting him to drink. Are you using a water station or bottle that he's familiar with? You can give him sugar water or electrolytes for a couple of days if necessary.
His poop doesn't look too good, but that may be due to him not eating/drinking.

His stance says he's not feeling very well, it could be from the head injury, they can seem out of it when they have traumatic injury, especially to the head.

Keep up the good work, if you can get drops of water into him that's good. After he's hydrated see if you can get him to eat a little wet soupy feed.

Nice cage!

Can you put some bedding in there for him, like pine shavings? He may be afraid on the plastic or it may feel a bit slippery to him. Shelf liner will work too, but it will need to be cleaned more often.

Have you been able to put the ointment in his eyes after you clean them? Hopefully the ointment will be soothing and make the eyes feel better.

Work on getting him to drink. Are you using a water station or bottle that he's familiar with? You can give him sugar water or electrolytes for a couple of days if necessary.
His poop doesn't look too good, but that may be due to him not eating/drinking.

His stance says he's not feeling very well, it could be from the head injury, they can seem out of it when they have traumatic injury, especially to the head.

Keep up the good work, if you can get drops of water into him that's good. After he's hydrated see if you can get him to eat a little wet soupy feed.
I don't have bedding because of the amount of chicks I've had to deal with but I can use something else for sure!

I had salined yesterday every 1-2 hours and today you just reminded me about the ointment, so yes I added the ointment.

To drink I have been giving him some electrolytes using a dropper and would alternate with sugar water (Is that okay?)
I am not really sure how to feed him but I noticed once the water was in his mouth he would swallow just wouldn't attempt to drink the water from the station (yes he is familiar with it) himself.

Oh okay thank you for letting me know, I thought it couldve been an infection but the wounds don't seem super deep. I had been cleaning the wound every 7 hours and waited an hour or 30 min. before adding vaseline.

Okay will definetely try, has been difficult but won't give up on Pinto just yet!

Thank you once again :thumbsup

I don't have bedding because of the amount of chicks I've had to deal with but I can use something else for sure!

I had salined yesterday every 1-2 hours and today you just reminded me about the ointment, so yes I added the ointment.

To drink I have been giving him some electrolytes using a dropper and would alternate with sugar water (Is that okay?)
I am not really sure how to feed him but I noticed once the water was in his mouth he would swallow just wouldn't attempt to drink the water from the station (yes he is familiar with it) himself.

Oh okay thank you for letting me know, I thought it couldve been an infection but the wounds don't seem super deep. I had been cleaning the wound every 7 hours and waited an hour or 30 min. before adding vaseline.

Okay will definetely try, has been difficult but won't give up on Pinto just yet!

Thank you once again :thumbsup
Alternating with the electrolytes and sugar water is o.k. for a day or two. Every once in a while, give him plain water too.

If you've cleaned the wound, you shouldn't have to re-clean it that often, only if he gets it dirt or if you notice a bad odor. Just dab a little of your vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment on his wound daily to help keep the scab moist.

Hopefully he's feeling better today and his eyes are feeling a little better too with your putting the eye ointment in the eyes. Put the ointment in the eyes daily. I know that can sometimes be difficult, Quail are squirmy little things, but the eye ointment can help alleviate inflammation and infection.

Keep me posted on how Pinto is doing.

Alternating with the electrolytes and sugar water is o.k. for a day or two. Every once in a while, give him plain water too.

If you've cleaned the wound, you shouldn't have to re-clean it that often, only if he gets it dirt or if you notice a bad odor. Just dab a little of your vaseline or triple antibiotic ointment on his wound daily to help keep the scab moist.

Hopefully he's feeling better today and his eyes are feeling a little better too with your putting the eye ointment in the eyes. Put the ointment in the eyes daily. I know that can sometimes be difficult, Quail are squirmy little things, but the eye ointment can help alleviate inflammation and infection.

Keep me posted on how Pinto is doing.
Hey, thank you for this. I now know for next time what to do immediately. Sadly this week has jus tbeen so sucky, first I lose one of my 2 turkey poults (the other is still thriving), then I lose a baby chick, after that is my favorite sultan roo, and now its my 1 year old Pinto quail, yes sadly he passed :hit. I thought he was doing better but I guess poultry just knows how to hide their emotions pretty well. He passed in the morning I had given his huggies and a kiss before I fell asleep, so atleast in a way I said bye.

Nature is amazing but sometimes just sucks. Thank you all once again for the tips and advice! I was also thinking what if since rats have pretty big teeth, the wound wasn't like wide but instead deep? Even though I hadn't seen anything what if there wasn't much hope regardless? I mean like maybe the dirty rodent had got to his brain? Either way I just hope Pinto rests in peace and hope he is happy. I gave him the best life I could've, the life he deserved 🥲.

To avenge Pinto I will not only be cleaning the coop and buying stuff for those pesky insects (mites/lice) but set up traps and securing the coop with even more fencing, heck even get a cat buddy if I need to. There are a bunch of wild cats so I am so suprised as to how many mice/rats there are in the area.

Enough of me typing, thank you all sooooo much (@Wyorp Rock , @Ursuline Chick , @Lillith37 , @Theorrin ) :hugs

Hey, thank you for this. I now know for next time what to do immediately. Sadly this week has jus tbeen so sucky, first I lose one of my 2 turkey poults (the other is still thriving), then I lose a baby chick, after that is my favorite sultan roo, and now its my 1 year old Pinto quail, yes sadly he passed :hit. I thought he was doing better but I guess poultry just knows how to hide their emotions pretty well. He passed in the morning I had given his huggies and a kiss before I fell asleep, so atleast in a way I said bye.

Nature is amazing but sometimes just sucks. Thank you all once again for the tips and advice! I was also thinking what if since rats have pretty big teeth, the wound wasn't like wide but instead deep? Even though I hadn't seen anything what if there wasn't much hope regardless? I mean like maybe the dirty rodent had got to his brain? Either way I just hope Pinto rests in peace and hope he is happy. I gave him the best life I could've, the life he deserved 🥲.

To avenge Pinto I will not only be cleaning the coop and buying stuff for those pesky insects (mites/lice) but set up traps and securing the coop with even more fencing, heck even get a cat buddy if I need to. There are a bunch of wild cats so I am so suprised as to how many mice/rats there are in the area.

Enough of me typing, thank you all sooooo much (@Wyorp Rock , @Ursuline Chick , @Lillith37 , @Theorrin ) :hugs
I'm sorry to hear about Pinto:hugs

It has been a rough week for you and I'm sorry you've been through all this.

Very good idea to do some deep clean out of all the housing, treat housing and birds for lice and start off with a small amount of fresh bedding. Be sure to retreat housing and birds in 5-7day intervals to kill off any lice that may hatch, you want to break the cycle.

Rodents can be a challenge, so trapping is one method, the cats another. Rats are smart, so you may have to change up how you get rid of them from time to time, but keep working on it.

I hope things get better for you.

Okay thank you so much! I don’t think I have Vetericyn, I ran out a week ago Can something like ice help? Or Vic’s, Vaseline? I had previously used to capture them and drown them too, was asking because I wasn’t sure if it was effective, thank you!

Saline like the nose spray? Or is there poultry saline?

And how many grams of sugar? Also he hasn’t really eaten or drinker water just kind of stood there I had gently dipped his beak in the water and he sipped it and stood infront if the water, eyes closed, up tall, shaking.

Thank you a lot!
Terramycin ointment from Tractor Supply.

Back
Top Bottom