Human way to cull

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
I have never culled a chicken, but apparently I have a silkie with Marek's disease. I can't cull her but my husband is willing. What is the best way to put this chicken out of all her suffering? I have already got the advice from a chicken doctor and we have tried everything to improve her progress and nothing worked. She is at the point now where she's just suffering, she is flopping around with absolutely no use or control of her legs. She's bleeding from her vent and I just can't see her suffer any longer. She's been sick for about 3 weeks and during this time she has just gotten worst and worst.. So I have come to the decision which i really didn't want to make but decided is was time... So i'm wonder what's the best way?

A very sharp knife, a killing cone (its a cone that holds her head in place when she's upside down for safe easy cuts) and slice the neck both sides. She'll lose consciousness very quickly.

A sharp hatchet works too.

Dont try wringing her neck unless you know what you're doing though...that can get messy.

If you want to pay, your Vet can do it the same way they euthanize dogs/cats...pretty peaceful that way.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you're handy with a firearm, they work very well.

When I was growing up, we used to put them in an old milk crate and use a .22.

Meat cleaver or other sharp heavy tool and decapitate. Instant death although the animal may move some after the deed, common sense tells you it is impossible for the animal to sense or feel anything at all. I'm sorry you have to do this.
sad.png

Quote:
thought about the gun but we don't want it to get messy because I'm afraid the disease could get in the yard and infect the rest of my chickens, i don't know a whole lot about this disease but I have read it's very contagious. We plan on burn the body once it's over..

Quote:
Slicing the head off, will there be a lot of blood? I want very little mess because of the safety of my other chickens.

Quote:
thought about the gun but we don't want it to get messy because I'm afraid the disease could get in the yard and infect the rest of my chickens, i don't know a whole lot about this disease but I have read it's very contagious. We plan on burn the body once it's over..

Speaking of which, are your other birds vaccinated? Even if they are though, I'd highly recommend a major decontamination of your coop area (there are a bunch of threads via the search tool for how to do it).

Mareks is very nasty.

Quote:
Slicing the head off, will there be a lot of blood? I want very little mess because of the safety of my other chickens.

Yes, it will be messy. It should be done as far away from the other birds as possible...definitely not within sight of them as it will freak them out and you dont want that blood to get near them.

Last edited:
I had to cull one and used a 410 shotgun with bird shot to the head. It worked well and was quick. the tough part was they will flop around for 10 or 15 seconds due to nerves. What method did your vet recommend you use to cull?

Back
Top Bottom