Humane euthinazia for a peacock

Chickenlicken444

Chirping
Mar 13, 2021
Riverside, CA
Hello all,

Sadly, my peacock, Avocado, has reached the end days. He has lived at least the last 5 1/2 years with only 1 good leg from an injury he sustained before we had him. While before he could move around fine by hopping, this past winter (California) has been very rough on him. We would prefer to not take him to a vet for euthinasia since the nearest one is quite far and expensive. He's gone to the vet before, but it was extremely stressful on him and I would rather avoid that as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can humanely send my friend to the afterlife? Preferably in one piece (no axe).

Thank you <3
IMG_4405.jpg

Sorry he's at the end, beautiful bird. If I had to euthanize him I would make a large killing cone and use a sharp knife. Thats how I process extra birds in my flock for the freezer, I think its the most humane way.

The easiest way to put him to sleep is with ether. (Starting fluid) We will get a small rag, napkin, or wad of cotton and soak it with ether and hold it over his beak then cover it with a baggie. He will go to sleep fast but it takes a few minutes for him to pass, wait for the last shuddering and watch for the baggie to quit the inflating motion from breathing.

It is hard for me to put a bird down but this is the easiest for both the bird and me.

shot or blow to the head. Knocks them out and kills quickly. Not as painful as other methods. Too quick for nervous system to register pain. There is a way to euthanuze small critters with Baking soda and vingar reaction. I use it on babies... but now I use air rifles or pistols. Much faster and kinder. I did use a sledge hammer on my first necessary putting a bird down. But it is creepier... for me...

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. It really helped me make a decision on how I should help my friend depart.

Here's a discription of events in case it can help anyone else -

I went with @KsKingBee's recommendation to use ether to put him to sleep since it seemed the most accessable and easiest to handle myself since I've never killed an animal before. We had a little ceremony for him on a blanket near his grave and I coated a blue paper towel in starter fluid (wearing gloves and a mask). After I worked up the courage, I cupped the papertowel around his beak and nose and held it firmly. He wiggled a bit but seemed calm overall. Once he relaxed, I could hear his breathing become raspy. I put a plastic bag over his head and held it around his neck. He went limp soon after. I wasn't able to hear his breathing but could still see the bag inflating and his chest moving. After about 1 minute, he gave a final kick and his breathing stopped. I would estimate that within 2 minutes, he was gone. I waited at least 5 minutes to call it and also made sure to listen for a heart beat. After about 10 minutes from the start, we burried him.

He did not seem distrested by the experience. Of course, I have no way of telling pain level, but I can guarentee he was in much more pain living day to day the way he was than the 2 minutes before his end.

I'll always love you, Avocado <3

DSC09073.jpg

Back
Top Bottom