Humidity and temperature homemade incubator

SpotTheCat it worked! Added some warmer water and now everything is on point. I'm going to get one of those small diffuser/humidifiers to run over night or just run to keep it stable when I can't be right there staring at it. I keep it by my work desk so I can literally check it every couple mins. Thank you😃

Attachments

• 20210716_113329.jpg
    20210716_113329.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 3
SpotTheCat it worked! Added some warmer water and now everything is on point. I'm going to get one of those small diffuser/humidifiers to run over night or just run to keep it stable when I can't be right there staring at it. I keep it by my work desk so I can literally check it every couple mins. Thank you😃
Yay! Thats good to hear. Good luck with your hatch!

One more question because my diffuser as a humidifier didn't work as planned. I set it up through my little window when the humidity got down to 70 and let it run a few mins. I checked on it and it was at 90🤦. Immediately shut it off and cracked open my little window so it could go back down. I don't mind spraying water inside since I work from home and it literally right next to me I'm more concerned about overnight or if I have to do normal day to day things and leave the house a while. Will chicks become shrink wrapped if the humidity goes from 80 down to 70 or is it ok because it's not going below the suggested humidity level? Today is day 21 for 2 eggs,20 for 1 and 18 for the other one. I also thought about taking the whole incubator outside and quickly sticking them under my broody hen but I'm not sure which one is more dangerous at this point

One more question because my diffuser as a humidifier didn't work as planned. I set it up through my little window when the humidity got down to 70 and let it run a few mins. I checked on it and it was at 90🤦. Immediately shut it off and cracked open my little window so it could go back down. I don't mind spraying water inside since I work from home and it literally right next to me I'm more concerned about overnight or if I have to do normal day to day things and leave the house a while. Will chicks become shrink wrapped if the humidity goes from 80 down to 70 or is it ok because it's not going below the suggested humidity level? Today is day 21 for 2 eggs,20 for 1 and 18 for the other one. I also thought about taking the whole incubator outside and quickly sticking them under my broody hen but I'm not sure which one is more dangerous at this point
I think it should be fine, but I am not 100% sure. I will try tagging somebody who knows more then I do @MGG

70% Rh is way too high for the hatching phase. It would be better to have the humidity at 55 to 60%Rh.
High humidity during the hatching phase can cause the chicks to become 'stuck', which is different from 'shrink wrapped'.
When the humidity is that high or higher, it doesn't allow the chick to turn during the 'zipping' phase of hatching, resulting in a (dis) chick...died in shell.

Update on the hatch? Love to know how it all turned out!
I got 1 chick out of 4. One started and made an external pip and I watched it for a while that night but then nothing the next day. I took a chance and put the other 2 under my broody hen who went broody the day before lockdown but no luck. I had 4 fertile eggs and she sat on 6 unfertile 🤦 anyway this is Beans. Hatch day and almost 3 weeks later she's (fingers crossed) got little feathers and uses me as her personal jungle gym. I bought a couple more for her to hang around with so she wasn't by herself.

Attachments

• 20210720_120837.jpg
    20210720_120837.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210729_171003.jpg
    20210729_171003.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom