Humidity and Temperature

Oh, how's the little one doing? Did it survive? I think you did the right thing, just letting it rest in the bator for a while..... I would've done the same.

Its still hanging in there but I don't think it will survive
sad.png
It can't walk so it kind of just lays there. When it does move around it flails around before its on its side again. I feel bad but I don't think I can kill it.

Its still hanging in there but I don't think it will survive :(  It can't walk so it kind of just lays there.  When it does move around it flails around before its on its side again.  I feel bad but I don't think I can kill it.
That's the worst part of incubating, IMO - when something's awry with a hatchling.
1f641.png
I've had a few of those, too. Can you tell what the problem may be, like a leg deformity? There are some leg problems that can be corrected fairly easily, and some that aren't. Hope your little one just needs some extra time to grow stronger after the herculean task of hatching.

I'm no expert but in my opinion don't do anything to severe till they improve or die. I hatched 6 out of 13 several months ago with a totally handmade setup and several looked terrible the first 2 to 3 days but over night they bounced back and now are young birds doing great. Better for them to be on the warm side instead of cold.

That's the worst part of incubating, IMO - when something's awry with a hatchling.
1f641.png
I've had a few of those, too. Can you tell what the problem may be, like a leg deformity? There are some leg problems that can be corrected fairly easily, and some that aren't. Hope your little one just needs some extra time to grow stronger after the herculean task of hatching.

Here are some pictures, its bottom looks really round and swollen and it can't walk at all.

Here are some pictures, its bottom looks really round and swollen and it can't walk at all.

Has it always had the swollen bottom, or is that new? Also, can it poop?

It hasn't been able to stand at all, right? One of the legs looks strange to me in one of the photos, but it might just be the angle.

Adding: there's a thread where an individual made a sling for a chick that couldn't stand, and they reportedly were successful, in time, in getting the chick to walk. Find it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655937/please-help-young-chick-cant-stand-or-walk-without-help. Might be helpful for your chick?

Last edited:
The bottom was swollen from the time it hatched. I was looking at it this morning and the legs do look a bit off and its head kinda curves a bit. The sling is a good idea but I have to work all day so no one is there to help it
hmm.png
I do give it water but its not able to eat. I though about mashing up some of the starter feed with water but not sure if it will eat.

Back
Top Bottom