humidity in brooder

Mrwinchester

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Ottawa Ontario
Hello all, Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce humidity in the brooder? It's been rainy here and I'm having a heck of a time keeping the humidity down. I use sand bedding which after a day looks damp, after cleaning the brooder and blending the sand it looks dry and clean for a while. We will be having rain here for the next few days with humidity around 90 % so it's much like fighting a loosing battle.next to running a dehumidifier I'm not sure what i can do. thanks for any suggestions.

i have never regulated humidity in an brooder

the natural humidity id fine

only humidity is required inside and out of the incubator during incubation

what are you brooding ?

i have never regulated humidity in an brooder

the natural humidity id fine

only humidity is required inside and out of the incubator during incubation

what are you brooding ?

We have 8 red sex link hens and 60 duel purpose meat birds. I looked this morning and the humidity was around 60 %, the outside humidity is up to 95 %. I was under the impression that it would cause respiratory issues, Also it seems to bring out the odors much more. Thanks for the reply

We only have a week to go and they will be out in the coop so i guess its relay not that big of deal

Last edited:
I don't think i will use sand in the brooder again. I'm not sure but i think i need more ventilation.The sand is getting quite damp and stinks like ammonia. I sift the waste out but there seems to be way to much damp sand, i blend the sand trying to help dry it out. This is my first time raising chickens the next batch of chicks i think i will add more ventilation and switch to pine shavings, at least i will remove the damp bedding and put dry fresh bedding down. I don't think it's moisture from the waterers it seems to be worse under the roosts. Does anyone have a suggestion ? or has anyone experienced wet bedding issues. Luckily they are going out to the coop and run probably tomorrow thanks for your impute

That's why I use pdz which actually removes all odors and dries out the poo to little pellets with no odor. It's more expensive than sand but it solves a lot of the problems. I use it in my brooder, and under the roosts in the coop. Saves lots of time in cleanup.

That's why I use pdz which actually removes all odors and dries out the poo to little pellets with no odor. It's more expensive than sand but it solves a lot of the problems. I use it in my brooder, and under the roosts in the coop. Saves lots of time in cleanup.

I just might have to buy some, is chicken poo normally that wet? I see lots of solid droppings but still some wet ones to. They are a month old . Thanks for your reply

Yes, poops can vary quite a lot during the day and be perfectly normal. There is a chickenpoo page somewhere on the 'net that you can reference if you are concerned about a particular color, consistency, or shape.

Here it is. View at your own risk. Wouldn't recommend it while eating or drinking.

Now that the chicks are out in the coop and run the droppings seem to dry out better , much cleaner and easier to clean . OK I like sand again lol

Back
Top Bottom