Hummm......... Update on Nestle

hankshens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
TN
OK, so I have been trying to recuperate my hen. I found her now about 3 weeks ago and she couldnt walk. I put her in a small cage and tried to heal her. I have posted forums about her and seems like she should be improving by now. I know she has feeling and can move the leg, she just wont. I am trying to figure out if making a sling so that her legs hang out, and I can hang it just so her feet can hit the ground, if it would help. I am giving her an asprin every other day and she is eating and drinking well. Poop looks normal too. I need to get her to try and use it. I have been sitting with her everyday and moving it for her. She doesnt act like it hurts but it is stiff. It has been raining here and I dont want to put her out in the yard, even tough she seems more motivated. Any suggestions on how to make a sling for physical therapy would be helpful. Please dont respond with any negative comments about me keeping her alive. I am trying everything I can think of to help her. I can't read her mind but I dont believe she is in pain. I will put her down if I need to but right now she has great spirit. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I hope you get an answer. I have a hen with a bad leg but she's had it since she was born. I was going to cull her but DH said as long as she can get around keep her. I did and she lays eggs for me. I would like to make something for her but I'm afraid the other hens and rooster would pick on her then.

I think they call them special needs chickens and a lot of people have them. So no negative comments here.

Good luck with her.

I still have her seperated so they cant pick on her. If I can figure out how to make something, I will get pictures and post them if it works. I am going to try and make something Saturday morning.

Quote:
I don't think you need to worry about that here. There are a lot of people who go to great lengths to help their animals, including hens. Do you know what kind of bird she is? I ask because there are some birds that are exclusively meat birds and therefore have been bread to grow so fast that their bones and muscle development cannot keep up with the massive weight they gain. If that is what you are dealing with you are banging your head against a brick wall. Can you post a pic? Or describe any charictoristics or pick a photo of a similar looking bird?

She is out of my game rooster and a hen that looks like a pheniox. She is about 3 months old and isnt very big. She was fine one day and hurt the next. I have a rottweiler who is a big dork, and I think he was playing and maybe stepped on her. He doesnt pay attention he just plays. He would never, ever hurt a chicken. But the day I found her he was playing and running through the yard all day long. My chickens are free range on 5 acres that is fenced for them, the dogs, and the horses. The chickens stay clear of the horses, but they dont fear the dogs. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will. Thanks for the help

Glad I miss-understood. I thought it was a bird you randomly found and worried it would be a meaty that had no hope. That would be a real bummer to anyone, especially someone like you who obviously is trying everything possible to take good care of a valuable animal.
If she's made it 3 wks then it's not internal bleeding or anything so you still have good reason to hope. Check out the Zane thread and see if that will work for you. You might want to try to give an extra boost in the nutrition department from things like dairy and meat scraps and multi-vitamins. Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow, that is awesome. I am making her something tomorrow and that page was a big help. Does anyone know anything about Mareks? Would it happen to her over night? I am pretty convinced she got hurt, but I dont know anything about Mareks. Thanks for all your help.

OK, made her sling. She didnt like it. I dont know if it hurt her or just made her uncomfortable. She can move her leg, and she has feeling in it. I am going to try this for a while and see if she will start to move it on her own. Wish me luck!

fl.gif
Good luck & keep us posted
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom