Hunting and the argument against it.

My sister-in-law is a vegan, we learned not to talk about hunting when she is around. My husband hunts deer every year. Last year my husband and son got a 3 deer. We processed it ourselves which saves some money. I haven't bought beef in years.

My sister-in-law is a vegan, we learned not to talk about hunting when she is around. My husband hunts deer every year.  Last year my husband and son got a 3 deer.  We processed it ourselves which saves some money.  I haven't bought beef in years.

:thumbsup

highfive.gif
to Blooie! What a nice response!

I harvested my first deer this past year and when I told my mother she all but disowned me. "How could you do it? You're not going hungry!" I tried to defend my position but it caused an even bigger rift so sadly we have also learned to not discuss it, which makes me sad. That deer provided me with the first HONEST meal of my life, and I couldn't share it with the woman who raised me. Sad, but there is no changing her mind. I did blanch when she bought some pork at Wal-Mart the other day. "Do you know how factory farmed pigs are treated? Ask my sister, she knows." Well, this did not upset her in the least, she just shrugged it off and changed the subject. I tried to make a parallel but I think that, too, was lost on her. Sad sad sad.

My advice is to not mention hunting if it causes a fight. Don't quit hunting, just don't share that part of your life with this particular person. The situation with my mother has gotten to the point where I can't even mention target shooting or guns at all without being subjected to her abundance of prejudice against firearms or anything related to hunting. So I don't call her in November... ;)

It is pointless to argue with someone who has strongly-held beliefs which differ from yours, and neither of you are about to change your positions. I'm not arguing against hunting by any means. I'm merely pointing out that there are people who will hold to opinions that don't seem to have a basis in logic or reality, and before criticizing them for doing so (yes, I'm referring to the "battle of wits" comment), check that you, yourself, don't ALSO have strong emotion-based opinions on other topics that are often criticized as being illogical. If you do, ask yourself how you'd feel if you were characterized as being the "unarmed opponent in a battle of wits" and if someone confronted you with facts that countered your beliefs.

To the OP -- if you really want to educate this person, rather than respond with an argument against what was said, or why it was so incorrect, why not say "OK, let's find out together." Find reputable internet sources of information, such as FDA definitions of the terms ascribed to various meat products. Approach the disagreement from the perspective of ignorance -- "Hmmm, I never heard that before...let's look it up to find out more" and learn together. My point for interjecting is that this isn't just some stranger on the street -- this is a member of your family, and as such, deserves respect despite a difference in opinion.

:)

You missed part of the point of what I said. I have no desire, absolutely no intention at all, of trying to change someone's position about hunting. I can't do that because I don't have the right to do that. My lifestyle and my way of providing food for my family is not the right way for everyone anymore, even though in our long history it once was the only way to eat. That's fine - if someone doesn't want to hunt that's perfectly acceptable and understandable to me. No problem! I simply don't discuss the topic with folks who are offended by it. That's just common sense and courtesy. However, the same people to whom I offer that respect have no trouble trying to bait me with ugly names and trying to force me away from what I do. They use guilt, anger, ridicule, and misinformation to try to change me, to make me into something I'm not, and to force me to conform to their ways of thinking. Why is that acceptable when I don't try to conform them to mine? The group of anti-hunters who slashed my tires in the middle of nowhere knew full well that I was a woman out hunting alone, so throw threats, intimidation, and endangerment into the mix as well.

I did, if you recall, apologize for my choice of phrase. Perhaps it would have been kinder and more politically correct to say, "It is difficult to disseminate facts and statistics to a person who does not have the advantage of having a countering set of facts and statistics to bolster his position. Therefore the sensible course of action would be to carry on with your plans without further discussion."

And by the way, in my 64 years on this planet I have indeed run into countless situations where my strongly held beliefs conflicted with someone else's. If they had a compelling point of view, I have been known to rethink and change my mindset - if not I was free to hold firmly to my own convictions. Yes, I have been been told that my thinking was "illogical" on more than one occasion. And do you know what happened? The next day the sun still came up and the birdies still sang - it wasn't the end of the world despite me having been the unarmed opponent in a battle of wits. I can live with that. ;)

Last edited:
You missed part of the point of what I said. I have no desire, absolutely no intention at all, of trying to change someone's position about hunting. I can't do that because I don't have the right to do that. My lifestyle and my way of providing food for my family is not the right way for everyone anymore, even though in our long history it once was the only way to eat. That's fine - if someone doesn't want to hunt that's perfectly acceptable and understandable to me. No problem! I simply don't discuss the topic with folks who are offended by it. That's just common sense and courtesy. However, the same people to whom I offer that respect have no trouble trying to bait me with ugly names and trying to force me away from what I do. They use guilt, anger, ridicule, and misinformation to try to change me, to make me into something I'm not, and to force me to conform to their ways of thinking. Why is that acceptable when I don't try to conform them to mine? The group of anti-hunters who slashed my tires in the middle of nowhere knew full well that I was a woman out hunting alone, so throw threats, intimidation, and endangerment into the mix as well.

I did, if you recall, apologize for my choice of phrase. Perhaps it would have been kinder and more politically correct to say, "It is difficult to disseminate facts and statistics to a person who does not have the advantage of having a countering set of facts and statistics to bolster his position. Therefore the sensible course of action would be to carry on with your plans without further discussion."

And by the way, in my 64 years on this planet I have indeed run into countless situations where my strongly held beliefs conflicted with someone else's. If they had a compelling point of view, I have been known to rethink and change my mindset - if not I was free to hold firmly to my own convictions. Yes, I have been been told that my thinking was "illogical" on more than one occasion. And do you know what happened? The next day the sun still came up and the birdies still sang - it wasn't the end of the world despite me having been the unarmed opponent in a battle of wits. I can live with that.
wink.png
One of the most gratifying things is to argue with someone who knows their facts. I once discussed nuclear power with a person for two hours, neither of us managed to change each others minds about the matter, but it was one of the best conversations I've ever had. Very refreshing when someone has a better argument than "Chernobyl.".

Interesting conversation. :) I agree with keeping the topic zipped with those not like-minded.
I used to be anti-hunting until I moved to the country. I did a total 180 within the year. I've always loved animals, but now I love them in a whole different way. I see the bigger picture. Most people are not ready to see it & may never be. As the previous video shows, most consumers are blissfully ignorant of how their meat is brought to their tables. I call it government sanctioned animal cruelty/abuse. Its a process born out of necessity to feed the masses, but badly needs improvement! I love meat, so I will continue to farm/hunt our own or buy from local & ethical farms for what we can't.

Hi Blooie! I see we have stepped away from the porch again.......
I know.....and I know better. I'm coming home - please pour me a glass of tea with a light shot of margarita in it. I'll be right there.

I've decided to hide under the porch. Less flak there. Blooie, there's room for you here.
tongue.png
Thanks, Sourland. I have a bad habit of letting the columnist in me come at odd times. Sometimes after I wash my fingers I can't do a thing with them.

Back
Top Bottom