Hurricane preparedness

Connie G

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
has anyone been through a hurricane with chickens? Since we appear to be near the cone of probability. Do I close them In the coop or let them out ? Any other hints would be appreciated.

has anyone been through a hurricane with chickens? Since we appear to be near the cone of probability. Do I close them In the coop or let them out ? Any other hints would be appreciated.

I have no first hand experience, but I would close them up. Don't you think the wind could just blow them away? Seems they'd be pretty vulnerable left out unless there's some really good shelter they are familiar with that they they would go to and could huddle under. All that heavy rain too, possible flying debris. Do you have a basement you could put them in? Or some cages that you could bring them in the house? Or a more secure structure, perhaps a garage? That's what I would do, but my flock is very small.

Thank you for your response. Looks toke the hurricane is breaking up, fortunately! I've heard you should not keep horses boarded during a storm. I guess if the building should collapse they'd be injured/trapped.

Thank you for your response. Looks toke the hurricane is breaking up, fortunately! I've heard you should not keep horses boarded during a storm. I guess if the building should collapse they'd be injured/trapped.

Maybe, but a chicken doesn't weigh much and could easily be blown away. Glad the storm is dissipating.

Hurricane Erika had me going into panic mode lol... i have so many small chicks at the moment lol....
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom